• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Florence hasn't eaten anything since her spay

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
The vet told me not to worry and if she doesn't eat by tomorrow then they will give her some soft food for her tummy. Am I worrying for nothing? She looks so sorry for herself bless her. :(

Last edited:
Did they give you any Recovery food or Critical care for her? She might eat that from a dish as it requires little effort. grated carrot always goes down well with our two when they're poorly too.

Did they give you any Recovery food or Critical care for her? She might eat that from a dish as it requires little effort. grated carrot always goes down well with our two when they're poorly too.

They didn't give me any today but they were talking about doing that tomorrow if for some reason she hadn't eaten x

Oh Sally I was worried this might happen. Perfectly normal and happened with Cutie-pie. She didn't really eat for 2 days but as I was so panicked, had her admitted the day after her spay.

CC or baby food, pellets softened in water may help.

have you tried giving her moist pellets? Sometime buns will prefer these when they are not feeling too good. Have you tried her with her favourite herbs? Sometimes buns can be very slow to recover after GA, especially if they were given a sedative as well, or were done late in the day. She will need a gut stimulant injection if she doesn't eat anything at all.

Thank you everyone, we have another appointment tomorrow morning to check her wound, I will see if she has eaten by then.

I'm assuming she had pain relief and gut stimulants.
My vets ask for people to take their rabbits back if the haven't eaten it pooped by the next day.
Sparrow was spayed on Friday and although she hasn't eaten much she passing dropping so I not panicking yet as it takes a couple of days for them to recover.
Has she had fibreplex or another probiotic.

Personally I would not want to leave her for longer than 8 hours without eating anything at all

Has she poo'd yet ?

I would start syringe feeding her if she has still not eaten within the next couple of hours. Getting her GI tract working again is really important after a spay

Sending vibes for her.

I'm assuming she had pain relief and gut stimulants.
My vets ask for people to take their rabbits back if the haven't eaten it pooped by the next day.
Sparrow was spayed on Friday and although she hasn't eaten much she passing dropping so I not panicking yet as it takes a couple of days for them to recover.
Has she had fibreplex or another probiotic.

Her notes say she has had an antibiotic and painkiller both injected x

Personally I would not want to leave her for longer than 8 hours without eating anything at all

Has she poo'd yet ?

I would start syringe feeding her if she has still not eaten within the next couple of hours. Getting her GI tract working again is really important after a spay

Sending vibes for her.

Thank you Jane, she hasn't poo'd yet either, I will keep a close eye on her and see if I can get her eating xxx

Mine usually give a gut stimulant after the op to kick start things.
Did you get pain relief home with you to give the next day?

Can you tempt her with a pellet mash, piece or apple or parsley. At this stage eating anything would be a good start. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

No Metoclopramide injection? I thought that was standard... :?

I'd definitely go for fresh herbs. I remember after their spays my buns wouldn't even accept the bagged sort, but only the ones fresh in the pots!

I don't think I'd want to go till tomorrow without her eating either... but I'm paranoid about bunny tummies.

I wasn't given any pain relief :(

Sorry is flo a bunny?
If so make sure you get pain releif enough for at least 5 days after the spay as this is how long the wound takes to heal.
Imagine what would be painful in a human and apply it to the bunny.
I agree with the fresh herbs, Dill and thyme are good just now and always go down a treat, also parsley and basil and mint.
Mush some pellets up and try seeing if she'll take them as well.
I always find it handy to have some recovery food handy just in case of a not eating episode.

So I always have a stash in my bunny first aid box :)
When was she spayed? Dunno how I missed this.

Sorry is flo a bunny?
If so make sure you get pain releif enough for at least 5 days after the spay as this is how long the wound takes to heal.
Imagine what would be painful in a human and apply it to the bunny.
I agree with the fresh herbs, Dill and thyme are good just now and always go down a treat, also parsley and basil and mint.
Mush some pellets up and try seeing if she'll take them as well.
I always find it handy to have some recovery food handy just in case of a not eating episode.

So I always have a stash in my bunny first aid box :)
When was she spayed? Dunno how I missed this.

Yes she is a bunny, the more I think of it the more I'm cross they didn't send her home with any pain relief, it's my fault though as I didn't insist on it. I know what a huge operation it is for humans so for a bunny it must be awful. I feel mean now. I don't know if she is in any pain :( when Dexter was neutered he was sent home with three days worth of pain relief. I feel such a awful bunny mummy :(

Sally its not your fault you shouldnt have to ask for pain relief.... it should be given anyway
Cant believe they gave it after a neuter.... which is a simple op and not usually necessary.... but not after a spay :(
Have you any metacam in??
Try not to worry too much.... some buns dont eat the first day of their spay, but i would def ring the vets tomorrow for some pain relief to help her over it xxxxxxx
(she will prob have been given an injection after the spay which should see her through til tomorrow) x

Yes she is a bunny, the more I think of it the more I'm cross they didn't send her home with any pain relief, it's my fault though as I didn't insist on it. I know what a huge operation it is for humans so for a bunny it must be awful. I feel mean now. I don't know if she is in any pain :( when Dexter was neutered he was sent home with three days worth of pain relief. I feel such a awful bunny mummy :(

Don't feel bad chicken, it may be that they gave her the 24 hr metacam injection and when you go back tomorrow they will give you some oral stuff.
Just make sure you get the oral stuff tomorrow and all will be well :)
Ask as well for some CC sachets and a big 15ml syringe, these have been invalueable for me when a bunny gets ill.
I also have emeprid (gut stimulant) and exta metacam there for emergencies. But my vet is very happy with me knowing what to do and has explained all the dosges etc to me.
I can also email her if I'm ever worried which is a great help.
Just get some lovely tasty herbs for her and she will most likely eat these first.
Did the vet syringe feed her before she came home?
And I see from your other thread it was only today she was spayed.
It's completely normal for her to feel under the weather just now.
So even if you can manage to get her to eat a little bit tonight that should be fine.
Where are you keeping her at the minute? In the house in a wee hospital cage?
*hugs* She'll be fine xxx

Back