• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red skin on hocks but covered by fur

sashababe

Warren Scout
Just noticed my dwarf lop has quite red skin on his back feet :( he has lots of fur on them (almost like he's walking around on little fluffy platforms!) so I'm guessing it's not that, but there's a small bald red patch underneath the 'flap' of foot fur. It's been very rainy here for a good few days now, and part of their run (paving slabs) gets wet and therefore their feet, wondering if this could be the cause? They have shredded paper on the floor of the hutch in an attempt to dry their feet when they come in, and then hay on their shelf, in their bed area, and a very thick layer in the litter trays. Trays get changed every other day ish, and if the top is wet I take a small handful of hay off and replace it with dry as and when. I've just popped a towel down in the entrance to the hutch and kept shredded paper elsewhere, is there anything else I should be doing to prevent this turning into proper sore hocks? He went to the vets recently and apparently his claw length is fine too, so not sure what I'm doing wrong!

The 'fluffy platform's' are likely to be the cause of this. He's unable to hop properly, his weight is all over the place and he's getting sore feet. These thick matted bits need to be removed but carefully-by a vet really. These red bits can very quickly become very raw and infected and because feet are essential to move and can't be 'rested' it's a very difficult issue to overcome once it gets really bad. I'd go back to the vet and get his feet sorted first. I have house buns but I use megazorb as a litter and that may help keep feet dry. People with outside buns will be better qualified to help with keeping feet dry.

It's not matted fur to be honest, just grows long on one side and grows across his foot - the hairs are all seperate not clumped together like a mat would be.. could it still be this? I am happy to have it trimmed but don't want to leave his soles without protection. He has always had fur like this and not had any problems before so maybe a combination with the wet? He'll be in the vets later this week for a checkup anyway so will get them to have a look but just wanted to check how to keep him comfy in the meantime

Oh right. Sorry I thought they'd got clumped as this does happen. I've had buns with sore hocks from carpet, this is caused by friction rather than wet I think. Um. I still advise a vet as you need to stop this getting worse. Something is rubbing on his feet. I think if it is caused by the wet you'd see his feet were wet, they may smell etc. Not sure when you're at the vets but if the feet are very red it at be advisable to reduce his exercise area. You really don't want the skin breaking and wet feet I would think may aggravate things. I'm no expert of course, but with my bun it was friction and he had to have bandages fr a short time then fabric put on the carpet to lessen friction. I'm sorry I can't advise more especially regarding an outdoor bun but I hope you get this sorted.

Don't cut of the fur n the bottom of the feet!
This will make it worse!!
The fur is there to protect the feet.
Basically you're seeing the start of sore hocks.
This will be due to the paving slabs being too hard for the buns feet, can you get some rubber stable matting?
Also make sure in the bedding area there is a lovely thick layer of hay.
My buns have this problem and I've found that hay really deep is the best thing to help it :)

The reason it happens is if you consider a rabbit's feet are perfetly adapted for living on grass and soft ground.
When they hop about the front claws dig into the ground and the foot is level.
On paving slabs and things like laminate etc this does not have the 'give' that the buns feet need, so it creates pressure on the hock (heel) of the foot and causes redness and sore bits to develop over time.

Keep an eye on it, and you may want to pop to a bunny savvy vet that will prescribe cream for the hocks to reduce the redness and inflammation.
I use Flamizine (sp) and depending on how bad they are you may need some metacam and baytril till they clear up :)
If you can get someone else to take pics while you hold bun I can have a look and let you know how bad they are?
MY lionhead suffer's from this and also my mini rex bailey as well, it can be a pain in the bum to get on top of, but it's good you noticed so early.

It's actually a good thing he still has the thick fur on the bottom of his feet, this tells me it won't be that bad. When the hock problems get really bad the fur starts to fall out leaving bald patches.

Oh right. Sorry I thought they'd got clumped as this does happen. I've had buns with sore hocks from carpet, this is caused by friction rather than wet I think. Um. I still advise a vet as you need to stop this getting worse. Something is rubbing on his feet. I think if it is caused by the wet you'd see his feet were wet, they may smell etc. Not sure when you're at the vets but if the feet are very red it at be advisable to reduce his exercise area. You really don't want the skin breaking and wet feet I would think may aggravate things. I'm no expert of course, but with my bun it was friction and he had to have bandages fr a short time then fabric put on the carpet to lessen friction. I'm sorry I can't advise more especially regarding an outdoor bun but I hope you get this sorted.

I have indoor bunnies as well and I put an old duvet down, with fleece over the top for my sore hock bunnies and this has drastically helped their feet :)
Yu may want to give it a go and see if it helps your wee man?

Don't cut of the fur n the bottom of the feet!
This will make it worse!!
The fur is there to protect the feet.
Basically you're seeing the start of sore hocks.
This will be due to the paving slabs being too hard for the buns feet, can you get some rubber stable matting?
Also make sure in the bedding area there is a lovely thick layer of hay.
My buns have this problem and I've found that hay really deep is the best thing to help it :)

The reason it happens is if you consider a rabbit's feet are perfetly adapted for living on grass and soft ground.
When they hop about the front claws dig into the ground and the foot is level.
On paving slabs and things like laminate etc this does not have the 'give' that the buns feet need, so it creates pressure on the hock (heel) of the foot and causes redness and sore bits to develop over time.

Keep an eye on it, and you may want to pop to a bunny savvy vet that will prescribe cream for the hocks to reduce the redness and inflammation.
I use Flamizine (sp) and depending on how bad they are you may need some metacam and baytril till they clear up :)
If you can get someone else to take pics while you hold bun I can have a look and let you know how bad they are?
MY lionhead suffer's from this and also my mini rex bailey as well, it can be a pain in the bum to get on top of, but it's good you noticed so early.

It's actually a good thing he still has the thick fur on the bottom of his feet, this tells me it won't be that bad. When the hock problems get really bad the fur starts to fall out leaving bald patches.

Thanks for this, will hold fire on doing anything to the feet! Just changed to a vet recommended for bunnies by an acquaintance so hopefully they can help with creams etc. He is on baytril at the mo anyway for a runny nose poor lad, so shouldn't get infected - they are also not open sores just red skin.

Will try and get a pic of them but may not be for a couple of days as OH is never home during daylight hours!! As you say I am taking it as a good sign that the fur is still there, the small bald patches are actually underneath it it was only because I was checking him over that I noticed them by moving the fur aside. Have topped the hay up to the rafters in the hutch! I tend to sweep up quite regularly in run but may try leaving hay down before resorting to stable matting (just looked at prices - eep!!) and also would be slightly worried they would nibble it as Lola is quite inquisitive about such things! Is there anything else I could put down outside?

There are foam playmate for children you can buy that could be quite good.
Is your run covered?
I know you said it's wet out, and im just thinking of things that would be waterproof.

Hugos there uses stable matting, you could ask her where she gets hers?
I've seen some on eBay for quite cheap.

Just seen some cheaper mats on ebay too, think the first google results must have been gold plated at least to make it worth the price! Run has a roof but no sides so some rain does get in, so waterproof is best, but think rubber would be better than foam for detering madam. Thanks for all the tips :)

Just seen some cheaper mats on ebay too, think the first google results must have been gold plated at least to make it worth the price! Run has a roof but no sides so some rain does get in, so waterproof is best, but think rubber would be better than foam for detering madam. Thanks for all the tips :)

:) hope you get it sorted out soon :)

sorry I never knew :(

It's okay. It's the anniversary today so feeling a bit wobbly. :(He was really incredible, so loving and I miss him so much still. But back on the carpet thing, I got new carpets, nice and soft and all was fine. He had arthritis in one leg and I think that contributed to the sore hocks as he didn't hop 'normally'. There's some great ideas on here though. :thumb:

Back