• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions..

xkellyx

New Kit
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, and generally new to keeping rabbits (I used to have 2 outdoor bunnies about 10 years ago!) so for now I am just doing my research.

Basically, I would really like to keep 2 rabbits (to keep each other company) indoors. I have a spare room which I use at the minute as a 'dressing room' as we have built in wardrobes- mine happens to be in there, while the bf gets the bedroom one :( I have just measured the room and it is 12ft long by 9ft wide. I do need some room in there to get changed and also for things like straightening my hair etc, I currently have a hamster in there on a set of drawers so I don't spray any aerosols in there. If I was to keep rabbits in that room, do you think it would be best to partion the room in half, maybe just over half for the bunnies? Or get a big run/pen that's big enough but maybe not necessarily blocking the room off half way across?

second, as I want to keep 2 bunnies, what sex is recommended for keeping 2 together? I would like to ideally adopt two from a rescue or get 2 from a breeder, so hopefully they will have bonded already.

thirdly, if I was to get two bunnies, will they be easy enough to tame to me? As I know with a lot of pets, it can be quite hard to tame them to you if they have another companion of their type?

fourth, if I keep them in the spare room that I mentioned above, what size dog crate would be ideal for say half of the room?

Thats all I can think of for now :) Sorry about the questions! I'll get back to my research on here :)

Thank you in advance!

Kelly

:wave:

If i had that space then I would babygate the door (maybe with added mesh so they cant aqueeze through) and bunny proof the room and let them free range in there...or as much of it as you can :) My indoor bunnies have a 42" dog crate and thats plenty big enough...the door is never shut...it just is a darker more snug place for them to use as a hidey place but lots of people dont bother with crates :)

Deffinatly rescue :thumb: a nice bonded pair and the rescue will be able to advise you on tame/easily handled buns etc bonding with you shouldnt be a problem...sometimes it takes a while but im sure they will love you :D

Good luck!!

I was thinking about baby gating the room, but then (I forgot to mention) I have a lab x collie and im pretty sure she will always be going in there to see them! Most of the time she can be so mothering (she's 11 years old) but I just wouldn't want to risk it, especially when im at work! Also, I need to have room for a set of drawers for all my stuff and also the hamsters cage which is over a meter long!

Just thought of another question!

The bedroom is currently carpeted. Is it best to leave it carpet or put vinyl where the buns will be? Do they tend to wee all over the floor or in a litter tray?

And also, (sorry!) my bf is quite a light sleeper, i used to have chinchillas in that room but they were in a metal cage and when they bounced on the bottom, it used to wake him up, would you say buns are noisy at night as I know thats when they're more active :)

Ohhh and, what size pen is best if I was to do the dog crate and pen route?

Last edited:
When it comes to the carpet my rabbits are pretty good about it. Most rescues litter train their rabbits, so if you set up litter boxes and newspaper in most of the corners they should be fine. If they end up peeing somewhere else (accidents will happen in the first couple weeks as they adjust to their new home) just put newspaper down there. Our rabbits only need one litter box in their playroom, none in any of the other rooms, but several in their pen :roll: In the first few weeks you should be able to figure out their patterns quickly and after that you should have no problem!

Back