• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You can but try to educate people about caring for rabbits.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Just heard of someone, (no-one that I know of), who against repeated advice from their vets, continues to feed their bunny.....dry cat food.:shock::shock:

Remarkably the rabbit seems to be in good health.........:roll::roll:

The saying "You can lead a horse to water..................." springs to mind.

Just heard of someone, (no-one that I know of), who against repeated advice from their vets, continues to feed their bunny.....dry cat food.:shock::shock:

Remarkably the rabbit seems to be in good health.........:roll::roll:

The saying "You can lead a horse to water..................." springs to mind.

The rabbit may appear to be in good health but there's something very wrong with the person feeding this. I've had a couple of buns eat dry cat food, one would eat wet! Ugh! Needless to say my poor cats have to undergo an SAS type assault course to access their food. Little wonder they spend hours each day lying in wait for the birds!

I found what looked like cat-food in Cloud's hutch once too... I know his former owners had a cat but I didn't think they would be that stupid... later on they actually bought rabbit food though, since they gave me the remains after I decided to take him in. (Before this I also kept putting hay in "his" hutch...which was actually my hutch, theirs was broken.)

A lot of people don't recognize a rabbit in bad health either.
I've heard people who feed their rabbits rodent mix or musli who assume its completely normal for a rabbit's droppings to be near liquid. Even the owner of a pet boarding service said most of the rabbits she had in had pooh stuck on their bums, and this she considered normal. :( Its also "common knowledge" in Norway that rabbits live for about 5 years, assuming any sickness they get after that is due to old age.
My oldest is 8 years old and people have said that's ridiculously old for a rabbit...but it isn't really. She's just fed actual rabbit food and hay instead of the junk convenience stores advertise as a healthy food for both rabbits, guinea pigs and rats. The latter of which is an omnivore and known to eat things like mince meat and bugs.

I have an embarrassing confession to make.
Yesterday I had to move the cats bowl from just inside the kitchen doorway to the other end of the kitchen after Frodo bunny discovered that in order to steal cat biscuits he just needs to put his two front paws in and stretch round!
That bunny has one cast iron stomach!

Back