• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Range - U/D A result

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
I went to our local Range with my daughter today - the first time in a long long time. There were several members of staff fussing over a couple of rabbit hutches in the main part of the shop, trying to decide where to place the ornamental rabbits that were to decorate them. I can only assume they were being promoted as we are on the run up to Easter when rabbits are likely to be bought on a whim.

The hutches are part of the Lazy Bones range and are woefully inadequate as far as size goes.
http://www.therange.co.uk/lazy-bones-hutch-and-run/cages/the-range/fcp-product/44465 The run is 4ft by 3ft. This is the one that was in store. The rest on the website, look even smaller :(

Knowing that I was ******* into the wind I did decide to voice my concerns and the pet stock manager was fetched. I mentioned the RSPCA and RWAF guidelines for hutch sizes. To my disbelief the manager pronounced that she was perfectly aware of the Hutch Is Not Enough Campaign being a member of the RWAF, had rescue rabbits herself but was perfectly happy to sell these hutches. She told me that a rabbit would be better off in one of these being looked after than in a rescue particularly as these hutches were better than others for sale elsewhere. She said that she recommended to people buying them that it was just a base and that the rabbit should have 3 hours a day in another run to stretch it's legs.

I pointed out that rabbits are best living in pairs and that no reputable rescue would re-home a rabbit to a hutch this size let alone a pair and that I was extremely disappointed and concerned that these were felt adequate. I did say I would also follow this up with their head office.

Whilst I appreciate this manager has no say as to what is stocked in the store, I am speechless as to some of her comments.

I have contacted the RWAF, who have been trying to engage them in discussion but the Range are refusing to co-operate.

If you are able please email them at Customerservice@therange.co.uk

Maybe, just maybe if enough of us contact them it may make them think again.

Last edited:
Please feel free to use this as a guide to emailing them, and spread around FB if you are able

"I am writing to express my concern over the rabbit hutches that you have in stock, both in your stores and on your website. I have always found The Range to be of good quality and value, however the selection of rabbit hutches that you have available are actually lower than what the RSPCA and the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association) would consider to be a minimum size.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, rabbit owners are required by law to meet their rabbits welfare needs. Rabbits are incredibly active animals, and your "lazybones" hutch and run implies that this is an adequate size for a rabbit. The lazybones hutch is actually not even suitable for one dwarf rabbit, as stated in your description. Both the RSPCA and the RWAF, recommend a minmum 6 x 2 x 2 foot hutch, with 6 x 4 run to ensure that the rabbits welfare needs are met. (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm)

Rabbits need to be able to stand up on their hind legs inside their hutch, and the lazybones hutch does not accommodate for this. Rabbits are social animals, and it is recommended that they live (neutered) in pairs. However, your lazybones hutch is not suitable for two.

Your Lazy Bones Apex run is not suitable for rabbits, as it far too small and it prevents rabbits from standing up, and stretching their legs. This could lead to skeletal deformities, obesity and muscle wastage. Your Lazybones "large hutch on legs" is actually smaller than the combination hutch and run - yet there is no statement about it not being suitable. This hutch is considerably smaller than the RSPCA/RWAF recommended size, and again will lead to the same issues as mentioned already.

What these hutches do, is fail to provide acceptable living conditions for rabbits, and a company as large as yourselves could actually be playing a part in educating potential rabbit owners about what is and isn't acceptable. By selling these hutches you are not helping animal welfare to move forward. I ask that you re design your hutches so that they fit in with the RSPCA/RWAF guidelines, which will help ensure that rabbits are not suffering as a direct result of your sales.

There are 33,000 rabbits in rescues each year, and the public simply isn't aware of what a rabbit needs. Your cheap, and inadequate housing, just makes it easier to look after these animals poorly. Better sized housing would really help the bigger picture, so I ask that you take note of this email.

Regards,

I despair every time I go in, they sell hutches the same size as the run shelter my pair have! The only other hutch on show is a 3ft double and a tiny run. The rest are indoor cages. Tiny hamster cages, tiny bird cages, tiny fish bowls :evil:

Our Range is only a small one but the bigger one has so many hutch/runs that are so small.. BUT bigger than the ones at my local one! They're so expensive though and the 'hutch' on top of the others hasn't been moved since October so I hope no one has bought one. I know because I put a pen mark on it to see :oops: To get to the others the top ones need taking off. With easter coming up though.. who knows :cry:

I have emailed and posted on their facebook page along with everyone else:thumb:

Last edited:
Thank you for your support. It seem the majority of our posts have been removed. Please make a nuisance of yourselves and keep the pressure up.

They're 'looking into it'! Fingers crossed! :D Instead of nagging at them now that they're taking note... I think we should be posting comments a bit more polite so they don't change their mind :p Such as 'we're glad it's being looked into and we're hoping for a change!' :thumb:

I've facebooked, wilkonsons are also advertising rabbits as ideal for people short on space and good for children *facepalm*

The response and support from all of you has been amazing. Thank you to all who have contributed. The party line from Range is that they are consulting their suppliers. Please keep the pressure up on them.

Wlkinsons I believe have taken on board customer feedback and rabbit welfare advice and are temporarily removing from sale unsuitable accommodation. If this is true then this is an excellent result :D It may be an idea to let the Range know that Wilkinsons are taking responsibility for promoting rabbit welfare.

Jolleys on the other hand still need a wake up call, so please feel free to contact them.

Just had a look at wilko's website there are no hutches there that are suitable for bunnies.
This is what I sent to them about one in particular.

I just had a browse on your website to see what hutches have been temporarily removed from sale.
I was very pleased to have such a positive response so quickly from yourselves as a company.
So I was very surprised and dismayed to see about 7 or so hutches that are still for sale and are still very unsuitable.
In fact I will go so far as to state that none of the hutches that are still for sale are suitable accommodation for a rabbit.

One in particular caught my attention.

(http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/rabbit-food+hutches/royce-kent-hutch/invt/wc00061)

The dimensions of this hutch (Not including the run) are inaccurate as there is clearly no way it is 19ftx20ftx23ft
And if we look at the actual product specifications it states completely different measurements.
Stating it is 208cmx120cmx118cm = to around 6ftx4ftx4ft
These measurements are clearly taking into consideration the attached run.
In reality this hutch is only 4ftx2ftx2ft, under minimum standards.
There are others on your website which I can link to which are unsuitable for any animal other than guinea pigs or hamsters.

Has the attached minimum run size escaped your attention?
It has been stated numerous times that a minimum of 8ftx4ft run be attached to a 6ftx2xftx2ft hutch.

Again I shall be sending a copy of this via PM as you requested several people to do and I will be expecting as quick a reply to this as with my previous message.
Also would be appreciated if this discussion could again be kept in the public eye.

I await a speedy response.

Back