• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutch or Dutch Cross?

He could be a cross. A Dutch can look like a pure breed Dutch as three of mine do/did but because we don't know the parentage anything could be assumed. I have a Dutch boy whose brother is a chinchilla. Each one looks like a pure breed but we know for a fact their litter mates were black like the mother. No idea about the father though. So the way a rabbit looks can be very deceiving as to breed purity. Someone on here had a pure white Dutch rabbit, no markings at all. She must have known the parentage but otherwise to all intents in purposes the bun looked liked a bew.

Vienna is a carrier of BEW; while they can resemble dutch rabbits the markings aren't related. I like to say that coloring has nothing to say on the breed of a rabbit. A black rabbit isn't automatically an Alaska and an aguti rabbit isn't likely to be half wild.

They could be dutch mixes of course, but its impossible to say without a pedigree.

If the markings are very good but the rabbits shape is a little bit different they could still be a purebred dutch, but most likely to be a cross or vienna. Vienna markings are caused by the blue eyed white gene, so if the rabbit has a BEW parent or one or both parents that are vienna then the baby can be born with markings very similar to that of a dutch, although usually they just have a little white nose triangle or a white paw or something

Here's a Vienna with perfect dutch markings...
Bunnies%20Does%20121.JPG.opt401x280o0%2C0s401x280.JPG

The main giveaways are the bright blue eyes (which some but not all vienna marks can have, and only rabbits with the BEW gene have eyes that bright blue, the grey/blue coloured rabbits have dark grey-blue eyes) and that the rabbit is a brilliant 'breed standard' example of a lionhead, no dutch parents there

while two gene knowledgeable people are around could you tell me why Imogen has 1 half and half eye?

Really awful photo and the other is totally blue
387617_10150629778685558_63651370_n.jpg

while two gene knowledgeable people are around could you tell me why Imogen has 1 half and half eye?

Really awful photo and the other is totally blue
387617_10150629778685558_63651370_n.jpg

That'll be caused by the vienna gene, does she have any black patches or is it just that bit of eye?

Basically a regular rabbit is VV, a blue eyed white rabbit (fully white with two bright blue eyes unlike Imogen) is vv, a vienna marked rabbit is Vv. I imagine that Imogen is Vv but just shows a huge ammount of white, there are obviously more genes in play than just V and v hence why some vienna marks just have a white claw or spot on their nose and why others are almost entirely white.

If the rabbit is vv, fully blue eyed white then that masks any other colour genes the rabbit has, in the same way the red eyed white gene can mask all other colours

Her parents could of been...
Non vienna x Vienna
Non Vienna x BEW
Vienna x Vienna
Vienna x BEW

thankyou :) I thought it was but wanted to check, is that what they call a marbled eye or is that something else? She does have a few greyish brown patches, one over her eye and one over her bum and other little bits

394269_10150629778940558_133375089_n.jpg

386624_10150629779285558_1427507019_n.jpg

394350_10150629779555558_545945682_n.jpg

Some beautiful bunnies there.

Thanks for the info on the original questions. I just wondered as I am insuring the little stray bun we took in and he has Dutch markings and bluey eyes, I said he was a cross breed for the purposes of insurance. He's not very big, about 1.06kg I think when vet weighed him.

thankyou :) I thought it was but wanted to check, is that what they call a marbled eye or is that something else? She does have a few greyish brown patches, one over her eye and one over her bum and other little bits

394269_10150629778940558_133375089_n.jpg

386624_10150629779285558_1427507019_n.jpg

394350_10150629779555558_545945682_n.jpg

She has a very odd (but beautiful) colouring. She might be a rarer colour with the vienna gene on top, but I also read something earlier about certain chinchilla genes messing with the vienna gene and eye colour in particular, which could maybe explain her fur colour and the eye effect? In humans the eye thing is called sectoral heterochromia

Thanks for the info on the original questions. I just wondered as I am insuring the little stray bun we took in and he has Dutch markings and bluey eyes, I said he was a cross breed for the purposes of insurance. He's not very big, about 1.06kg I think when vet weighed him.

If the eyes are bright baby blue then he's a vienna, if they're a very dark grey-blue then he could be a vienna or a dutch cross

She has a very odd (but beautiful) colouring. She might be a rarer colour with the vienna gene on top, but I also read something earlier about certain chinchilla genes messing with the vienna gene and eye colour in particular, which could maybe explain her fur colour and the eye effect? In humans the eye thing is called sectoral heterochromia

She's a very odd but beautiful rabbit anyway :lol: I do wish I knew her past/where she came from as it'd be so interesting to find out what her history is, I've never seen any one like her in the local pet shops so I do wonder if she may have been from a breeder (even a back yard one)

Yes I read something about the chinchilla gene messing with vienna gene but it didn't mean very much to me :lol: if only there was a simple way of knowing hey!

She's a very odd but beautiful rabbit anyway :lol: I do wish I knew her past/where she came from as it'd be so interesting to find out what her history is, I've never seen any one like her in the local pet shops so I do wonder if she may have been from a breeder (even a back yard one)

Yes I read something about the chinchilla gene messing with vienna gene but it didn't mean very much to me :lol: if only there was a simple way of knowing hey!

I was really into genetics when I was about 13 and wrote a guide for another rabbit forum but since then I've not looked into it at all so I don't remember much at all sorry :lol: It gets very complicated when you go into dark eyed white and 'ghost' genes (and those are rabbits that have a pale pearly grey colouring like Imogen)

When you blow into the coloured bits of fur are there rings of colour like in agouti/chinchilla rabbits? (Where the bottom of each hair shaft is one colour, the middle another colour and the tip another colour again)

you know more than me :lol: all the codes make my head spin :lol:

No its solid grey, its actually more grey/silver than I realised it was, I thought it was more browny :love: Sebastians agouti so I knew what to compare it with :)

That's too small to be a dutch anyway if he's an adult. They're closer to 3 kgs if I remember correctly.

That's too small to be a dutch anyway if he's an adult. They're closer to 3 kgs if I remember correctly.

Thats what I thought too. We don't know his age as he was found straying but I think he's pretty young, 6months? got his bits, not spraying thankfully! All my boys have been neutered young so I don't know about spraying. Vet said for ins, say a year. I can't imagine him getting to 3kg! His ears are small IMO.

Back