• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest Building?

Oonagh

Warren Scout
Could my spayed female rabbit be building a nest? She lives with her male companion(neutered), and she was gathering all the hay up and putting it in one place. She hasn't pulled any fur out, its just hay and bedding. She has recently put on some weight, but I thought she was just eating more pellets (I have been giving them extra, to fatten up my male bun who is slightly skinny.) Should I just ignore it and clean them out? And should I give them some extra bedding in case they are cold? Thanks

I am no expert but I think spayed females can have phantom pregnancies just like humans, so it could be that or maybe she isnt spayed?? Did you get her from a rescue? The only reason I ask is because when we chose Cookie and were waiting to pick her up the following week she started to build a nest, turns out the people who dumped her at the rescue lied and said she was spayed but that was not true.
I would hold off on the cleaning for now, or at least leave her nest as she may become very defensive, just continue to clean out the toilet corner. Leave it for a little while and see what happens. Ii would put more hay/straw in as it is cold.

I am no expert but I think spayed females can have phantom pregnancies just like humans, so it could be that or maybe she isnt spayed?? Did you get her from a rescue? The only reason I ask is because when we chose Cookie and were waiting to pick her up the following week she started to build a nest, turns out the people who dumped her at the rescue lied and said she was spayed but that was not true.
I would hold off on the cleaning for now, or at least leave her nest as she may become very defensive, just continue to clean out the toilet corner. Leave it for a little while and see what happens. Ii would put more hay/straw in as it is cold.

Thanks :) She is definitely spayed, we took her to the vets to get spayed. I will just clean around it for now :D Thanks

Hmm must be a phantom then as she wont have any residual hormones left after 3 years. I would just wait it out, hopefully she will realise soon enough.

Back