• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Woody is due to be neutered next Wednesday!

el1983

Mama Doe
I cant wait! So pleased to be getting him done, this spraying is getting on my nerves :roll: i know he is going to be a lovely rabbit once he has been done, his hormones are controlling him at the minute.

I have a double hutch im going to bring into the conservatory at night for him to stay in whilst he recovers, i will have to put him in his play house in the day though because if its sunny the conservatory gets really hot, so i'll be popping him outside if i go out.

Is there anything else i can do for him?

Well done in getting him neutered. It may take a few months even for his hormones to die down so don't expect an overnight transformation. But it will make such a difference. Basically he'll need a restricted area and mustn't jump onto things or overexert himself. I'd expect some pain relief and gut stimulant to be provided by the vet. Get plenty if nice veggies, unless he's a bladder sludge bunny green veggies are always popular and good for tummies-spring greens, curly kale etc.

Generally speaking boys do recover quicker than the girls, but I would ask the vet for pain relief and gut stimulant to take home with you when you collect woody as well as some recovery food, such as oxbrow critical care and lots of syringes. It's better to have these things than not.

He may need help regulating his body temperature as it can be difficult after coming round from a GA. I generally wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and pop it next to the bun. He'll probably be quiet and won't wnat to be interefered with too much and he may grind his teeth due to being in some pain, even if he has had paiinkiller. Offer water in a bowl and a bottle and make sure you have his favourites in and plenty to tempt him with -hay, veggies, pellets. In my experience the pellets are normally the last thing the buns eat, preferring the hay /veggies, though you can also try soaking the pellets.

If he's not eating of his own accord / going to the bathroom by the following day I'd take him back to the vets just to make sure he's ok.

Thanks, i didnt get any pain relief for Bella when she was spayed :? I will ask fo some though, thank you. I have a hot water bottle so will do that as well.

I feel really mean now as Dipsy has just been neutered, well last month. He had pain relief at the vets but didn't come out with any although I did ask about it, but to be honest Dipsy wasn't even slightly quiet that night or anything. He was running about, eating didn't even look like he had just had an op. I was going to check the op site to make sure it didn't look sore or anything, but to be honest, couldn't even see where it was, and he was just getting fed up with me. Had post op check 5 days later and no probs at all. I know it sounds bad he wasn't given pain relief to bring home, but my vet is a rabbit vet only, and I can honestly say Dipsy was obviously in no pain at all, and so must have been very long lasting or something, but he had no special care or anything because he simply didn't need it. Pippa goes in to be spayed on Thursday this week, will be interesting to see what she is like afterwards.

charlie was quiet the night i brought him home, h:wave:eek:wever the next day he was back to normal lol-one thing-make sure he cant jump on and off things for a least a week. just to make sure its healing well.

Awww ... good luck with his plum removal... !!

Lots of noserubs from us please

Fee x

Most vets will give pain relief at the time of the neuter /afterwards, however I also like to have some at home just in case and to save a trip to the emergency vet which isn't my normal vets and is further away. I have a bottle of metacam at home all the time just in case and it has come in handy in the past. I just like to be prepared for anything

I'm sure woody will be fine; I think when Harley was done he was eating within about 6-8 hours of coming home, but he did do a little bit of teeth grinding in the interim.

Thanks i will get some i think, i dont want him in pain.

I feel so bad for not getting Bella any, but i didnt take her hubby did and i didnt even think about it, i feel sooooo bad esp after i have had 2 c sections and know how painful that was, it must be the same :oops:

Thanks guys! :thumb:

Back