• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits realize it when other rabbits die?

RabbitBoy_

Young Bun
This morning my beloved Snow died ( or it was discovered this morning, she died during the night ) and my Blizzard was left all alone. I acted quickly and got him a new partner, but I can't help the feeling that Blizzard is missing Snow. He keeps looking at her favourite spot in the cage where she used to lie down all the time and he also goes and lies down there now. Do rabbits realize when other rabbits die, and do they miss them?

Sadly I'm afraid yes they do. I have known rabbits die of a broken heart as well, the same as people can. How has your bun taken to the new partner?

Yes, and they can mourn for quite a while before being ready to accept a new partner. My Bugsy refused to accept Chloe for 6 months after his wifey bun Steffi died. Unfortunately I did not know about buns needeing to see their partners dead body to help them understand, and even if I did, I don't think I could have put Steffi's body with Bugsy as she had her head taken in a freak fox attack ( I'd left her unsupervised for half hour in garden as I couldn't get her back in her scure run :cry:)

yes absolutely, Sebastian mourned for Mae. The shine went out of his eyes, he wouldn't move, he wouldn't play, he was reluctant too eat :( then when Imogen arrived he came out of his shell again :love:

I am so sorry to hear about Snow. Yes Blizard will more than likely be missing her but hopefully having a new mate will help.

@Fruitandnutcake- OMG!! How awful, I cant imagine how upsetting that would have been to see!

Absolutly...we have lost two rabbits that have been part of a bounded pair etc and both times the other one has mourned :( its really sad to see. I have left the body in with them for a few hours so they can say their goodbyes etc and then made sure they get a new partner asap.

Sorry for your loss xxx

When Toshi lost his first bondmate, Snowy, he was heartbroken. In the first few days he would sniff around their favorite spots trying to find his friend. It took him a couple of weeks to start binking again and he was no longer happy and excited about life. Thankfully a couple months later we were able to bond him to Paige and since then he has been much happier.

We did allow Toshi time to be with his friend's body, but it was still very traumatic for him. :cry:

When Floppy was PTS at the emergency vets, Wllow was just perplexed and came home in her carrier all alone. She spent an hour in the house with us and when she went back to their shed... She spent an hour sniffing about for him, then lay in the spot where he has spent his last few hours....

she was lost but they werent together for long so the bond wasnt a very long one, she recovered and is now rebonded..

Sorry to hear though of your loss

Fee xx

So far Blizzard seems to be taking well to his new partner, but it isn't stopping him from sulking around all day and barely moving ( he doesn't even eat as greedy as he used to when Snow was alive ). Oh boy, I hope he's not taking it too seriously.

So far Blizzard seems to be taking well to his new partner, but it isn't stopping him from sulking around all day and barely moving ( he doesn't even eat as greedy as he used to when Snow was alive ). Oh boy, I hope he's not taking it too seriously.

Have you been spending extra time with him? I know he has a new partner, but it may help him that someone familar is around.

Sorry for your loss.... I hope the remaining bunny picks up soon and accepts the new partner...

I've not got experience of losing a bunny yet, but when rupert had to stay at emergency vet, tia was beside herself with worry, it was awful to see - she searched the house for him, then the shed :( I gave her a tub of pellets and herbs, and she moved it to rupert's spot in the shed as if saying here rupert have my food, it was horrible.

I'm checking on him every so often to make sure he's okay, and I'm reassuring him and giving him kisses and trying to cheer him up, but he looks very depressed and is only lying down, he's not moving much, not really like his usual self...

My boy was absolutely heart broken when his partner died. He was very poorly, had repeated stasis episodes and was just completely depressed. I got him another friend and he is much happier and hasn't gone into stasis once since.

How long did you wait before getting a friend for him? Perhaps he just needs time to mourn Snowy. I am sorry for your loss, it is difficult seeing a bun so heartbroken after going through the loss of a bun.

soo sorry for your loss, bunnies do feel the lose of their compananions, and although you have gotten him a new friend, everything will be different, it may benefit him iin the long term

also do you know how snowy died? hoepfully it wasn;t anything that could be past on to your other bunny, as you have introduced a new rabbit straight away, how old are they both?

Back