• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

front paw flicking

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi all.My bun Harry has suddenly started front paw flicking-like the pre face wash kind-but hes not then washing his face.Hes doing it all the time.I cant see any problems with his feet and clipped his nails 3 weeks ago.Hes got an ear infection which is proving difficult to shift so could this behaviour be to do with the discomfort of that or the fact that hes really annoyed with me at the mo as he doesnt like his meds?:roll:

He may just be doing it out of annoyance or to shake dirt if his paws.
Ask your vet what they think at your next check up for buns ears?
Parlsey suffers from ear infections all the time, his left one can get especially bad.

I think its probably annoyance as its so pronounced and often.Can i ask how your vet treats your rabbits ear infections and how long they last?My buns infection is proving so hard to shift and im worried.

We normally get a baytril ear flush.
They usually calm down within a couple of weeks of ear drops 2 a day.
But its more a keeping it under control, as parsley is a lop and his ears are very prone to rubbing together and causing inflamation.
You can get stronger antibiotics, and also have had a few steroids drops at the vet to releive the redness etc imediatly.
Also a flamaizine ear wash was good as well.

We normally get a baytril ear flush.
They usually calm down within a couple of weeks of ear drops 2 a day.
But its more a keeping it under control, as parsley is a lop and his ears are very prone to rubbing together and causing inflamation.
You can get stronger antibiotics, and also have had a few steroids drops at the vet to releive the redness etc imediatly.
Also a flamaizine ear wash was good as well.

Thanks for your reply.I havent had any experience with ear infection in rabbits before.Harry is a lop too and his wifey bun who is uppy eared responded straight away to treatment but she had it really mildly.Hes having Baytril,Metacam and his ear drops-cant remember the name-so a variation of what Parsley is given.Im sorry Parsley gets these often it must be raelly annoying for you and him.Harry HATES his eardrops.Weve had 3 weeks of treament so far but no change and hes so fed up with me giving his meds:roll:Anyway will keep going.Hope Parsley stays well.

I though paw flicking was normal.....All of mine do this pre grooming?.....Sort of boxing type motion. without any aggression.....

You'll probably find that it will be an ongoing issue.
Its because they have a kink in the ear canal, and it can rub together and get inflames easily.
Parsley doesn't get bothered so much by it.
But I can always tell when its flaring up as he gets head sway, and scratches at it.
He's a bunny who loves his food as well and when he's in pain will stop eating, so its helpful for me to know that :)
I also found in between using the drops flush it with about 1ml of saline solution that seems to help keep them clean.

You'll probably find that it will be an ongoing issue.
Its because they have a kink in the ear canal, and it can rub together and get inflames easily.
Parsley doesn't get bothered so much by it.
But I can always tell when its flaring up as he gets head sway, and scratches at it.
He's a bunny who loves his food as well and when he's in pain will stop eating, so its helpful for me to know that :)
I also found in between using the drops flush it with about 1ml of saline solution that seems to help keep them clean.

Thanks for this.I wear contact lenses so always have saline solution handy.Weare back to the vets tomorrow as he seems so unwell.I nearly took him last night-hes eating ok but otherwise just sits hunched up in his own little world.Its hard to know what to do sometimes with buns.I dont want the vet to think im a neurotic owner but i dont want him suffering if he can be made more comfortable in the meantime!!

Hmm it does sound as though he's in a lot of pain.
Does the metacam make him happier looking?
What weight is he and what is the dose of metacam?

If washing is taking a long time - I would get his teeth checked - it can be a sign of sharp spurs hurting their tongue - like, if they stick their tongue out, it catches it.

Hmm it does sound as though he's in a lot of pain.
Does the metacam make him happier looking?
What weight is he and what is the dose of metacam?

The Metacam makes him slightly easier but nowhere near himself.He spends hours just staring into space.Hes normally very busy.His dose is 1.2mls and his weight is over 3kg but Icant remember exactly.He is quite a big chap though.I dont know why hes so very down-im so worried.Maybe is Metacam dose is too low.At least hes still eating but has lost alittle weight.We are back to the vets tomorrow and I will queiry his dose.

The Metacam makes him slightly easier but nowhere near himself.He spends hours just staring into space.Hes normally very busy.His dose is 1.2mls and his weight is over 3kg but Icant remember exactly.He is quite a big chap though.I dont know why hes so very down-im so worried.Maybe is Metacam dose is too low.At least hes still eating but has lost alittle weight.We are back to the vets tomorrow and I will queiry his dose.

the dose sounds correct if it's the dog metacam 1.5 mg per ml.
Do you give it all at once or do you split it?
The pain killing aspects last for 8 to 12 hrs and the anti inflamm prospects last a full 24 hrs.
Splitting the dose would mean his pain was covered longer potentially.
Ask the vet when you go tomorrow.
Have you had a culture done?
Is there any lumps on the ear? Like on the underside of it?

Hi yes a culture was done last week the results of which i should get tomorrow-to make sure his oral antibiotics are appropriate.There is no sign of his infection on his ears or as far as i can see down his ears but he apparently has ulceration,crusting and pus(yuk)further down his ear.(Makes me want to cry just typing that:cry:)Must feel terrible:(

Hi yes a culture was done last week the results of which i should get tomorrow-to make sure his oral antibiotics are appropriate.There is no sign of his infection on his ears or as far as i can see down his ears but he apparently has ulceration,crusting and pus(yuk)further down his ear.(Makes me want to cry just typing that:cry:)Must feel terrible:(

ooowww :(
Ask to see into the otoscope tomorrow, it's interesting.
Parsley has never had ulceration, just redness and inflamation.
Sounds as though your poor boy has it bad :cry:
xxx

My little boy has an ear infection at the moment. He had a saline flush on Friday and I have been giving him ear drops twice a day. When he was worst the vet gave him some vetergesic for the pain (injection) on top of his metacam as he was really under the weather with it. Hope you can get on top of it soon. My bun has had chronic nasal infection since coming to me at 12 weeks of age and it hasn't shifted and now moved up to his ear :(

My little boy has an ear infection at the moment. He had a saline flush on Friday and I have been giving him ear drops twice a day. When he was worst the vet gave him some vetergesic for the pain (injection) on top of his metacam as he was really under the weather with it. Hope you can get on top of it soon. My bun has had chronic nasal infection since coming to me at 12 weeks of age and it hasn't shifted and now moved up to his ear :(

Aww thankyou.When I "rescued" Harry from P@H he had,amongst other things,Pasteurella and although treated succesfully has been left with a "dry"sneeze occasionally so like your bun hes prone to those kind of infections.Hope your bun will be ok,poor little boy:(Its horrible isnt it when they are poorly.Sending ((((((((((((((vibes)))))))))))))))

Aww thankyou.When I "rescued" Harry from P@H he had,amongst other things,Pasteurella and although treated succesfully has been left with a "dry"sneeze occasionally so like your bun hes prone to those kind of infections.Hope your bun will be ok,poor little boy:(Its horrible isnt it when they are poorly.Sending ((((((((((((((vibes)))))))))))))))

Awww thank you.
We seem to have found the combination of Marbocyl and Engymycin (after trying Baytril, Septrin, Flagyl and Penecillin in various combos :roll:) to be the most sucessful, his sneezing is less, he has less white snot, although he is still holding his ear down, it is early days yet, but fingers crossed we have foud the magic combo!

I hope your little man gets better soon too.

My vet always says "buys a bun from PAH and get pasturalla Free of charge" :lol:
I work in the Companion Care Vets and saw this little dude being poorly in the PAH "isolation room" so I took him home with me to "foster" until he got better. I failed, he is now staying!! :lol:

Definitely discuss the paw flicking with your vet. They can check it out and make sure it's not something unrelated eg a wonky nail.

Back