• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do some Rabbits LIKE being held?

LianL

New Kit
:wave:
I was wondering if some rabbits not just "tolerate" or learn to deal with being held but actually like it?

A little back story and what I would like to know really;
So all my rabbits (3) are good with getting picked up (they don't struggle). I don't do it often and especially not with my "big bunnies", as I can tell they don't like it very much. (They enjoy chasing me and demanding food from me... very fun! ahah ) But my little boy, Sammie, he doesn't struggle nor does he try to get down. He just chills. I walked around pet smart holding him and he didn't try to get down, and he also didn't seem afraid!
I was holding him around the house, (cause my mom doesn't like him hopping free around it, but I didn't want to leave him alone in his pen because i like keeping an eye on him), and I went into the kitchen to make him a salad. With him in one hand and I'm ripping up lettuce and grating carrots (he has no front teeth so it makes making the salad a bit tricky one handed!) But for about 15 minutes of awkward one handed holding, he wasn't tense and he wasn't "petrified" or scared as I could tell. Then I went back into the living room, put him in his pen (he kicks a bit when i put him down, but even if I liked someone holding me, I'd kick too if I couldn't see the ground!), and gave him his salad. Then he ate, I watched, and then we played tag!

Okay so all in all, what are your opinions on him liking to be held? Or do you have any rabbits that do too? Experiences with holding rabbits? I've understood that rabbits DON'T like being picked up and held, and I've accepted that with my bigger bunnies, so this is puzzling me. Thank you for your replies =)

Yes I think so. I've yet to meet one that likes being picked up, but once held securely a couple of mine seem to love cuddles, lick me etc x

My bridge bun Harry seemed to like it, Ludo tolerates the being picked up bit but once he's actually being held, if he's in the right mood (that's a key if) then he's quite happy to lick and snuggle. But he does let me know when he wants to go down so I have to respect that.

My bridge bun Harry seemed to like it, Ludo tolerates the being picked up bit but once he's actually being held, if he's in the right mood (that's a key if) then he's quite happy to lick and snuggle. But he does let me know when he wants to go down so I have to respect that.

Clover is the same there is a struggle to pick her up but once shes up shes so happy cuddles in like a wee baby

Scarlet LOVES cuddles........but only when she's at the vet and it's Mammy or the vet. I am neither fooled nor flattered!

ahah :) my other buns are like that too- only when they want cuddles can I pet them, and when they don't then I cant! And this opens up so many doors for me to be able to carry Sammie places! =) ( I was thinking about looking into going into places where kids could pet him and learn about rabbits as most people know the "sterotypical" rabbit!)

This is Sebastians "stop taking photos and give nose rubs" face :lol: He's constantly buzzing around me asking for nose rubs, the moment he jumps on to the sofa his head goes down and his nose goes out :lol: He's happy to be picked up, he's happy to be snuggled, he's happy to sit on my lap for ages. Imogen however is the total opposite!

552099_10151444821660558_2038442544_n.jpg

Sebastian is sooo gorgeous, look at the beautiful eyes :love::love:
My first Dutch bun Joe was so cuddly and was happiest having a cuddle or just being touched. On the day I took him uo to be pts as I cuddled him to say goodbye he licked my cheek. (I am typing this through tears)

Oh my gosh, stop, Sebastian is soo handsom! And Jan =( I'm so sorry about Joe. </3 That is absolutly touching <3

:lol: this totally!!! I got some lovely cuddles at the vets today!!

It's the only time we get a Scarlet cuddle. Madam will not tolerate it under any other circumstance! That said, she is very good at being picked up, and doesn't wriggle, kick or bite, she just doesn't like it.

My Grayson ADORES cuddles, like he would be held and cuddled ALL day if there was someone to do it lol think its mainly because he has known human contact from day 1, and from 4 weeks old untill he was like 6-7 months old he was with me literally 24/7! he would sleep in my bed over night and i'd carry him about in my pocket etc heres some from when he was ikkle! but he still does this now ha!

247144_2138415018575_5616596_n.jpg

251727_2171227918877_6445794_n.jpg

Joshua and Paige both adore cuddles and being held, Joshua visibly relaxes in my arms and both of them will close their eyes and chitter their teeth.

Pudding likes it too. A few evenings ago he hopped up on my lap and refused to let me stop stroking him. Every time I did he nibbled my hand. After five nibbles I just accepted defeat and stroked :lol:

I have rabbit envy :oops:

I get very jealous when I see people cuddling their buns. I want you all to know that I hate you all right now :lol::lol:

But seriously, mine don't, and I wouldn't force them into a hug. They are happy doing what they like. They seem quite happy at the vets now and will let me hold them and cuddle them whilst they are having their nails clipped. Or as I said to the vet, having a trim.
Pierre will sit near us and let us stroke him, usually on the bed and he will fall asleep with us stroking him. Bernie is so active she never stays still long enough to be stroked.

My bridge bunny, Blackie spent most of his life in my daughters arms, snoozing. :love: He was never happier than when he was in her arms. Or snoozing. :lol:

My poppy is like this the complete opposite to clover she doesn't like getting held but will put her head down for claps and nose rubs.

Back