• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep Pippin comfortable in her carrier for a car journey?

jazxo

Mama Doe
Pippin has only ever been in her carrier for 10-15 minutes at a time to go to the vets. Tomorrow I'm moving and of course she's coming with me. She'll be in her carrier in the car for around 30-40 minutes then in her carrier in a room on her own while I set up her new area in my bedroom. All in all I think she'll be in her carrier for up to an hour and a half - 2 hours!

My plan so far is:
Towel on the bottom of the carrier, lots of nice hay, a few pellets to get her eating although she probably won't eat them and I'll bring a few treats along with me to try and tempt her. Usually in her carrier she just sprawls out due to it being so cold outside and a bit warmer in the car.

Anything else I should do? Should I take water? I don't want to attach it to the carrier because it just drips everywhere but I could attach it when I get her there and leave her alone in another room.

What temperature should I have the car at? I was thinking cool but not with the air con on or anything?

Radio on low for constant sound or just off?

Will that be the only journey you make? Is there any way you can get things sorted for her beforehand so when you take her she can settle in straight away?

If you can attach a bottle I would, just have the towel under I case of dripping. Otherwise perhaps some wet veg? I sometimes have the radio on quiet but mine aren't bothered by it. I have a window open slightly just to circulate the air.

Mine are in their carriers for an hour tops but their carriers are pretty big so I don't know if 2 hours would be too much, can't help with that I'm afraid:)

Last edited:
Will that be the only journey you make? Is there any way you can get things sorted for her beforehand so when you take her she can settle in straight away?

If you can attach a bottle I would, just have the towel under I case of dripping. Otherwise perhaps some wet veg? I sometimes have the radio on quiet but mine aren't bothered by it. I have a window open slightly just to circulate the air.

Mine are in their carriers for an hour tops but their carriers are pretty big so I don't know if 2 hours would be too much, can't help with that I'm afraid:)

Yeah I've already made two journeys so this was going to be the final one. I think what I might do is semi-set up and let her settle in and then add the non-essentials later. I'm sure she'll be fine, her carrier is fairly big. I think it's just me over-thinking. Thank you!

Yeah I've already made two journeys so this was going to be the final one. I think what I might do is semi-set up and let her settle in and then add the non-essentials later. I'm sure she'll be fine, her carrier is fairly big. I think it's just me over-thinking. Thank you!

Good plan :thumb: I know mine tend to just flop out and Donny actually falls asleep! :lol:

Good plan :thumb: I know mine tend to just flop out and Donny actually falls asleep! :lol:

I had to get a taxi with Pippin to the vets once and I was too shy to ask him to open a window/turn the heating down and she fell asleep too actually :lol: God what am I worrying about :roll: I just hope she likes her new set up :lol:

I had to get a taxi with Pippin to the vets once and I was too shy to ask him to open a window/turn the heating down and she fell asleep too actually :lol: God what am I worrying about :roll: I just hope she likes her new set up :lol:

I'm sure she will :D (remember to show us pictures! ;)) She'll forget about the carrier once she's exploring :D

:wave: If your normal vet is 10-15 minutes away, then actually by the time you've done a return journey and waited/been at the vets, you're probably at the 30-40 minutes kept in the carrier anyway, so I'm sure she'll be fine; she'll probably settle fairly quickly as soon as the car stops moving and she's popped in a room, even if she can't come out for another hour.

I would simply use paper or towel on the bottom, plenty of hay for comfort/munching and to stop her from slipping about, and then set her up properly as soon as you can when you arrive. I wouldn't give any water during the journey, it will just drip/spill and make her uncomfortable by getting her damp, she won't dehydrate in the short period of time.

Personally I turn the radio off when the bunnies are in the car, and I have the heating turned right down (mine are outdoor bunnies). If Pippin is normally indoors, I would just try and keep it as near to her normal temperature as possible, and point the blowers away from the carrier so she isn't blasted directly with hot or cold air.

Good luck with the move!

:wave: If your normal vet is 10-15 minutes away, then actually by the time you've done a return journey and waited/been at the vets, you're probably at the 30-40 minutes kept in the carrier anyway, so I'm sure she'll be fine; she'll probably settle fairly quickly as soon as the car stops moving and she's popped in a room, even if she can't come out for another hour.

I would simply use paper or towel on the bottom, plenty of hay for comfort/munching and to stop her from slipping about, and then set her up properly as soon as you can when you arrive. I wouldn't give any water during the journey, it will just drip/spill and make her uncomfortable by getting her damp, she won't dehydrate in the short period of time she's on the journey.

Personally I turn the radio off when the bunnies are in the car, and I have the heating turned right down (mine are outdoor bunnies). If Pippin is normally indoors, I would just try and keep it as near to her normal temperature as possible, and point the blowers away from the carrier so she isn't blasted directly with hot or cold air.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks :)! Good point! She's outdoors at the moment but moving indoors tomorrow. My plan was to keep her as cool as possible inside as well?

I always have the heating off and radio off when our two are in the car or when I'm doing bunny runs. I've had buns in the car for 2.5 hours on bunny runs and they are usually absolutely fine so try not to worry.
When I am transporting I take some hay from their existing carrier/hutch so they have something that smells a bit of them once they are in the carrier so I'd put some hay from your rabbit's current accomodation in your carrier and also in the housing at your new place.

I always have the heating off and radio off when our two are in the car or when I'm doing bunny runs. I've had buns in the car for 2.5 hours on bunny runs and they are usually absolutely fine so try not to worry.
When I am transporting I take some hay from their existing carrier/hutch so they have something that smells a bit of them once they are in the carrier so I'd put some hay from your rabbit's current accomodation in your carrier and also in the housing at your new place.

Thank you :) I will do. I was just going to bring her used litter tray but I'll put some hay from her hutch in the carrier too :)

Back