• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ludo: starting to go into stasis- hopefully avoided, any tips or explanations?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

As some of you remember Ludo went into stasis in January.

The cause then was identified as his care plus junior nuggets which are cereal based, although he wasn't getting huge amounts (he wasn't that old then though and that was the food he was eating until we moved him over onto Excel as an adult). As a consequence he's been banned from all non-grass based foods, including fenugreek crunchies.

Now he's just 8 months old. His diet is now less than an eggcup of Excel pellets but split into two feeds a day, fresh hay, then a small amount of fresh leafy greens and herbs. He also has access to tree branches and whatnot. The only extras are dandelion rolls which are made from grass and dandelion. He's been on this diet since January with no major problems. He does seem to cope with fresh greens and herbs better than pellets I must say.

This morning I woke up, went in to have my morning cuddle and to check his poops- to my horror discovered only a half his normal poop output and even worse than that, a few small dark brown poops that were the wrong texture entirely (they were normal poops though not abandoned cecals). Panic panic run downstairs shout at mum! I rang the vet got an appointment for this afternoon. Cleaned him out entirely and took out all of his hay and replaced with new. I only fed him 4-5 pellets this morning and then let him have a bit of exercise and left him to eat hay in peace. When I came back after a few hours of Neighbours, he'd eaten tonnes of the fresh hay (not that the old stuff was older than 8 hours) and the clean litter area showed much nicer poos, all much bigger, all golden and crumbly, only one or two a funny shape. So I rang the vet and cancelled, because I could go tomorrow if needs be (this vet open on Sunday) and he is vet phobic so there is always a chance of worsening stasis by taking him.

I forgot to mention in Feb once the small poop thing happened before, not quite so bad, but again, it was resolved by a hay only diet and building back up...

Questions:

1) What could be making him so sensitive? Would the vet be able to tell me? He's some sort of large mini lop or small dwarf lop, I know they're prone to dental problems, but are they prone to stasis too? The good thing is he's a real hay monster. I really do feel I feed him well if I do say so myself.

2) Yesterday he ate Excel country herbs mix, nothing in that is bad is it... that's the only thing new he's had, he had about 5 pieces.

3) Could it just be bad luck that I've got a stasis-prone bunny?

4) Would he perhaps be best on a hay and veg only diet?
Thanks all :wave:

Awww , I am sorry to hear he's having all the problems and I cant help but I hope someone is able to give you advice....

Love
Fee xxx

:wave: Hi, I'm sorry that Ludo is stasis prone.
I found that many things happening close together can tip the balance into stasis.
I'm wondering if Ludo is moulting as heavily as mine at the mo. The fur should be able to pass through, but if there's a bit of gut slow down it can get stuck & cause an episode like this.

There's an old thread here about the effect of forage on stasis prone buns with many underlying causes.
We fed the forage regularly to try to prevent, or reduce the frequency of stasis episodes.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

:wave: Hi, I'm sorry that Ludo is stasis prone.
I found that many things happening close together can tip the balance into stasis.
I'm wondering if Ludo is moulting as heavily as mine at the mo. The fur should be able to pass through, but if there's a bit of gut slow down it can get stuck & cause an episode like this.

There's an old thread here about the effect of forage on stasis prone buns with many underlying causes.
We fed the forage regularly to try to prevent, or reduce the frequency of stasis episodes.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

Thanks for your reply, Ludo does get forage bits and bobs, I don't fetch it though because I don't know a tulip from a daffodil so I'll show the people who fetch it! Thanks.

I just had a good double check, he's not moulting, no loose hairs at all. No signs of fur in the poops either. Nor carpet fibres. I just can't work it out. Can they get stasis for nothing? I really can't think of anything- he's not been stressed or anything!

Back