• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chloramphenicol in a megacolon bun.....?

Nova

Young Bun
Hi everybun :wave:

Boon, my megacolon/ Cow Pile syndrome bun has recently been coming out of another bout with GI stasis. What got him through was a mineral oil with water enema which helped release a lot of impacted poops. He still acts lethargic with no appetite, but his bowels are moving and he does eat a bit on his own.

On that day we ordered a stool culture for Boon to see if he has any overgrowth of bacteria that needed addressed. That was a week ago, and Boon seems to be doing a lot better, his poops are actually pretty well formed! but his appetite is so very low...and he seems very lethargic, and his belly feels doughey, like he's not made a complete recovery yet. Belly rubs have had to be very gentle; some areas seem sore.

Boon's vet called today and informed me that his fecal culture came back positive for Staph Intermedius and Campylobacter Jejuni and she prescribed him Chloramphenicol, but after doing research, I discovered that Chloramphenicol is associated with a really high incidence of Gastrointestinal disturbances. The LAST thing Boon needs is ANYTHING upsetting his already sensitive tum... I mean, he is a megacolon bun, and it's a pretty bad case. :(
and my compounding pharmacist said that they can't even have the meds ready til next week anyway, and it just looks to me like chloramphenicol is just very hard on the GI tract.

I've called the vet's office back but the vet is gone until Sunday. I hope there is an alternative medication that Boon can take for both of these bacteria, or perhaps a different route of administration to prevent GI side effects. I'm so worried.

Even more worrisome is that Staph Intermedius is usually caused by ulcerated Gangrene lesions in the skin, and if that is in his poops, I am wondering if he has these kinds of lesions in his GI tract from his disease. If he does, I don't know what to do.... help? :(

Last edited:
I used chloramphenicol in my snuffles bun many moons ago. She did not have any issues with it, and she was a repeat stasis girl. If you do give it, make sure you wear gloves and keep it off your skin. It can cause aplastic anemia in humans. Not to scare you, just make sure you treat it properly. :)

Yes, I've heard of it being very useful for Pastereulla buns....

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Boon is also on Cisapride 3x daily and apparently you can't mix Chloramphenicol with anything that inhibits CYP450 liver enyzmes, and cisapride does. So on top of worrying about throwing him into another stasis, I'm also concerned about interactions between Chloramphenicol and Cisapride.

Info on Cisapride is so hard to find because it's not approved for human use anymore.... but I did find out that it is definitely metabolized by that enyzme.....

I have no problems wearing gloves to administer it..... I'm just concerned about the drug interactions and it causing Boon to have more tummy troubles since he is a megacolon bun... :\

I called the vet's office and left a message, probably won't hear back from the vet until Sunday... so I'm sitting here worrying til then.

OH! I almost forgot to mention. A very helpful bunny friend sent me some herbs for Boon, (you know who you are and thank you!) and so far with just the Blackberry leaves....he eats them as if he had a ravenous appetite.

I am now a firm believer in the wild diet ;)

I have plans to plant raspberry and blackberry bushes all through my yard. I incidentally already have strawberry bushes growing like weeds all over the place, and that all started with me accidentally dropping a strawberry in my front lawn! But, I cannot act on any of this until summertime/spring.

but anyways yes, I hope the Chloramphenicol doesn't cause him complications...either with his issues or with the Cisapride.

Back