• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now I know why people don't buy 6ft hutches!

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I spontaneously bought a hutch today as it was the last one in stock. It didn't fit in the car. So I rang a taxi company, a straight no. Another taxi company, a striaght no. I almost gave up but rang one last taxi company who where actually really great. They checked the specs of the cars that were out and rang a driver to double check. He then came to pick me up but it cost me £10 for the ten minute journey to my house as it counts as delivering a package. No wonder people don't buy big hutches. There must be an easier way that would help encourage people, or make it easier?

Either be friends with a man with a van or do what anyone buying anything big like furniture would do, hire or pay for shipping. Sadly, when it comes to things that are BIG and if you don't own a van or big estate car, getting it home is never going to be easy!

Ikea car parks are always full of hire-for-the-day vans for a reason!

Couriers are cheaper than you think, i work at a business centre and alot of the tenants are always saying houw cheap they are.

Good point. Perhaps not an easy answer to the problem of getting a 6 feet hutch home, but welfare-campaigners should definitely be made aware this is a genuine difficulty some folk have.

I bought a 5 feet hutch (2 storey, admittedly), because a 6 footer would not have fit in the allotted bit of garden and I didn't want to push my luck! :oops:

This is why I'd hate to only have a car and no access to a van. We have a mini van, the American kind, that are apparently bigger, and can fit most things into it. We even brought a 12 ft boat home in it (it hung out the back a lot) and tied a preformed plastic pond that was bigger than the roof to the roof.

This is why I'd hate to only have a car and no access to a van. We have a mini van, the American kind, that are apparently bigger, and can fit most things into it. We even brought a 12 ft boat home in it (it hung out the back a lot) and tied a preformed plastic pond that was bigger than the roof to the roof.

That's not a van that's a blimming truck! :shock::lol:

Good point. Perhaps not an easy answer to the problem of getting a 6 feet hutch home, but welfare-campaigners should definitely be made aware this is a genuine difficulty some folk have.

I bought a 5 feet hutch (2 storey, admittedly), because a 6 footer would not have fit in the allotted bit of garden and I didn't want to push my luck! :oops:

I don't see it as that much of a big deal. None of us would be sane enough to go to a shop to buy a new sofa and expect to take it home in the back of our car, so why would we expect to be able to take an entire rabbit house home in the car. Decent 6ft hutches can be bought over the Internet for the same price as ones in shops, so in some ways I'd say its even easier to buy a 6ft hutch than it is a smaller one, because you don't even have to leave your sofa to do so.

I also don't think that not having enough room is a valid reason (not having a dig at you SB as you have clearly found a way to get the space your fluffster needs). If I really, really want a horse, but I only have 8 square foot of garden, it's not right for me to say 'well that's the allotted bit of garden so welfare campaigners who think that horses need a whole field need to be aware that many people just don't have the space'. I'd argue that if the allotted bit of space isn't big enough for the needs of that animal, then don't get that animal. It would defeat the object if welfare organisations compromised on their guidelines to meet what people have available, rather than stating what the animal needs.

It's oh so easy to buy something and assume it'll fit in your car too! We've done that loads of times.

I think for people like us on here, getting a hutch on the internet is pretty normal, but for most people, who see the hutches sitting in the pet shop, with the rabbits ready for sale, they just assume they would buy it at the same time.

Back