• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection?

MichG

Mama Doe
My poor little man has a bad ear infection.
He has had it flushed today at the vets and loads of pus came out and it bled as well.
He is on Engymycin and Marbocyl (he has chronic rhinitis and has also been on Septrin, Baytil, Penecillin and Metronidazole at various points over the last 4 months) he has also had a low dose of Vetergesic and some metacam.

He is really bothered by his ear, he is hardly eating (so had had cisapride and metoclopramide) and since the flush he won't come out of his hut and he is constantly scratching and shaking his head.

I feel so helpless but does anyone know if there is anything else I can do to help him sooth it. I hate seeing him so under the weather, he is usually so full of beans :cry:

Poor boy. :(
Grim's infection has spread to his inner ear. i think all you can do is lots of anti inflammatories and antibiotics. I take it one of those are ear drops? What about penicillin injections? When Grim gets really bad, Faye used to put him on Septrin, Metranidazole, Baytril and the Norocillin injection and Metacam for two weeks to cover all bases. But Grim is getting very immune to antibiotics after having been on them for five years.

Poor boy. :(
Grim's infection has spread to his inner ear. i think all you can do is lots of anti inflammatories and antibiotics. I take it one of those are ear drops? What about penicillin injections? When Grim gets really bad, Faye used to put him on Septrin, Metranidazole, Baytril and the Norocillin injection and Metacam for two weeks to cover all bases. But Grim is getting very immune to antibiotics after having been on them for five years.

I forgot to add Canaural ear drops to the list.
We have taken a swab to check for sensitivities but will probably add penecillin back on to that list when we know more. Poor boy is only 7 months old and has had so much happen to him, he hasn't had a week of life since he was 12 weeks old that he hasn't had antibiotics of some sort.

I hate seeing him so sad.

He has done previously. Vet said it was pointless this time as she knows there will be pus in the bulla and didn't want to put him through a ga to xray him today.

He has done previously. Vet said it was pointless this time as she knows there will be pus in the bulla and didn't want to put him through a ga to xray him today.

Poor lad :cry:

He is bound to feel awful for at least 24-48 hours after having his ear canals flushed out.

He may feel sick and dizzy too, which could account for his reluctance to move much.

My poor little chap. He is now chilled out with me on the sofa!!
hopefully he will pick up in a couple of days then. I wish he would eat something. Going to have to syringe something soon, he hasn't eaten properly since breakfast.

All he will eat is cardboard... I have given him a selection of hay, forage and beg, yet all he has done is gnawed on a box (which I have now removed :roll:)

Back