• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What was your first day with your new bunny like?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I just wondered what everyone's experiences were when they first got their rabbit.

I remember when I chose Doughnut she was 6 weeks old, friendly and as soon as the food came out she was there. I went back 2 weeks later to get her. She had been moved to another hutch with her brothers and sisters and I remember seeing her again and thinking I hope that's her, as she's the cutest and by far the smallest. Funnily enough she was eating again! Anyway it was her and I took her home. I have to say I was totally clueless regarding rabbits, I knew their diet but that was probably about it.

I was told to leave her in her hutch for 24 hours to get used to it. Within 30 minutes she was digging at the wire. I called the breeder and said does this mean she wants to come out and she said yes. I let her out and she was bouncing all over the place, she loved going behind the sofa and I realised how much mischief she could get up to. I totally had to rearrange her hutch as she peed in the dark part which I had put as her bed and slept in the light part where I had put her litter tray.

I learnt early on who was going to be the boss in my house.

I dont think I chose Betty or Iggy. Im pretty sure they chose me!

Iggy was a pets at home bunny brought on a whim as a student. Totally irresponsible I know! (I never would again buy any animal from them!)

I was the same and just about knew what he should be eating but I fell totally in love with him and bought any and every book on keeping rabbits and got him a perdy soon after. (Betty came to us after perdy passed away last year).

The first day Iggy came home i remember he tried to eat the curtains and then made a break for it under the bed.

Betty came home, sat for half an hour in her travel box and then proceeded to make our flat her home. I was so worried about bonding them but they became friends so fast! Betty was a rescue hoarded rabbit who had been on her own for a couple of months and as desperate for company as Iggy.

I chose Rupert and Tia then they were bonded for 3 1/2 weeks - I picked them up on a sunday, it was raining, they said ot put them in shed and leave them there alone for a day, so thats what i did, but i sat outside their shed on a stool in the rain keeping an eye on them :lol:

I chose Rupert and Tia then they were bonded for 3 1/2 weeks - I picked them up on a sunday, it was raining, they said ot put them in shed and leave them there alone for a day, so thats what i did, but i sat outside their shed on a stool in the rain keeping an eye on them :lol:

Haha that's what I would be like!

I was planning on getting a hamster from a rescue, but then I started looking at the rabbits and just fell in love with the picture of Biff and Brambles, they looked so cheeky and full of character.
I pretty much had my heart set on them after that, so I started researching what they'd need, their diet, what toys they'd like, how to litter train them etc.
I then asked the rescue to reserve them for us until all their bits and pieces came.
When we went to pick them up, I put some hay and forage in their carry case along with a little blanket for them to snuggle up to.
The lovely lady at the rescue, showed me their Mum and their Auntie, let us have a stroke of them and told us about their health.
Then we got them home, we let them in their base, with the door open so they could hop in and out if they wanted.
They were so tidgy and shy, but wanted to explore all the same.
We let them get to know us and gave them some treats so they were happy with us.

And now 5 months later they jump on the sofa to give us a kiss! :love:

Ah what a lovely story. I wanted a little grey rabbit or black rabbit. Didn't want a patterned one!! When the hutch was opened all the rabbits were coming to the edge to be stroked. Doughnut was the smallest and I gave her a stroke and she kept coming back. Until the food was put out then she went to the bowl and the others piled on top of her but she still stayed there. Here's a pic of when I first saw her, she's the same age as the other two

Me.jpg

Stressful! I am a worrier with the buns and bonded my girly with my existing boy myself. After getting fed up of me running down the garden every 30 seconds my OH set up a webcam in the run so I could watch them from the living room and let them have some peace! Of course all the worrying was for nothing but it was very tense for me the first day or two!

I wasn't sure what to expect with Lolas character (chose her because she was the only single female and Marble needed a wifebun rather than for character/looks) but she had been aloof in her foster home and had nipped too, so was expecting similar here. Soon learnt that her favourite place is wherever your foot is headed and have only ever had my clothes nipped from keeping treats in the pocket rather than dishing out to hungry mouths! It's so lovely getting to know their characters isn't it :love:

It is. I know I had wood chip down and she was inside and I had terrible hayfever/asthma with it. I was really upset as thought I'll have to take her back as I can't go on like this but loved her too much to do that, then changed to newspaper and I was OK.

When I went to work though I worried non stop, I felt sick. Thinking she is closed in a hutch all day. Because I was used to a cat being free. Even though the hutch she had all to herself and was large. I've since added on a play pen and after a couple of weeks I was more chilled.

I think having a pet is stressful!

Despite all my prior research the day I got them home I think I did have a feeling of OMG what have I done!! Id only ever really had cats before and I struggled finding a connection at first because they obviously dont communicate with us like cats do! I would die for them now, I had no idea what they would come to mean to me :love:

My first day with Boris was spent just sitting in the kitchen watching him :lol: He was 8 weeks old and the most amazing creature I'd ever seen. Everything he did just completely fascinated me. The first time I saw him binky I had no idea what he was doing. The first time I witnessed a happy flop I thought he was having a seizure. I'd done quite a bit of research before getting him but really, I had no idea whatsoever. I also remember trying to teach him to hop in and out if his cage, it took him a while to get the hang of it....:lol: But I think I just stared at him a lot. And cuddled him.

My first day with Bella was spent chasing her around and trying to catch her because the first thing she did was escape and hide under mum's bed :roll: :lol: Surprisingly enough she was a little shy then, it took a while before she even let me touch her. Bringing a banana downstairs definitely helped with that though :lol:

I came home one Monday after work and suddenly spied a cage in the corner of the dining room...my first words was 'what is that?'...that turned out to be Bobo whom my OH saw when he went to the pet shop to get fish. I then yanked hubby into the kitchen and gave him a good telling off...but when he said 'okay - I'll take him back'...it was a 'no...he's here to stay'...didn't see much of him that night...or the next but on the Wednesday he started becoming more confident and I started falling...and fell hard:love:! The rest just followed from him...

Back