• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny got wacked in the face by run lid

Django

Young Bun
About a week ago I was bringing my rabbits in from the garden run and foolishly lost concentration for an instant and lifted one of the lids to the run from the middle rather than the side, this caused the lid to swing into the hutch as I lifted it, and the side edge caught one of my rabbits square in the face above her nose. I immediately examined her face - no sign of blood or trauma to the eyes or nose, later I felt her face and there seemed to be a bump on her right side below the eye protrusion - it's difficult to tell precisely because of her fur and I don't know what it felt like before, I can only compare to the other side. Nevertheless her face looks normal.

Bunny's behaviour has been normal over the last week, eating, chewing (everything as usual!), running around etc. She does flinch a little when I feel the right side of her face. Does anyone have advice?

About a week ago I was bringing my rabbits in from the garden run and foolishly lost concentration for an instant and lifted one of the lids to the run from the middle rather than the side, this caused the lid to swing into the hutch as I lifted it, and the side edge caught one of my rabbits square in the face above her nose. I immediately examined her face - no sign of blood or trauma to the eyes or nose, later I felt her face and there seemed to be a bump on her right side below the eye protrusion - it's difficult to tell precisely because of her fur and I don't know what it felt like before, I can only compare to the other side. Nevertheless her face looks normal.

Bunny's behaviour has been normal over the last week, eating, chewing (everything as usual!), running around etc. She does flinch a little when I feel the right side of her face. Does anyone have advice?

Take her to a Vet to get her examined.

Personally just my own opinion I wouldn't have asked on here I would of just took bunny to vets to make sure he is ok as bunnys hide pain extremely well :wave:

Personally just my own opinion I wouldn't have asked on here I would of just took bunny to vets to make sure he is ok as bunnys hide pain extremely well :wave:

People don't always know whether it's worth stressing their rabbit with a vet visit, or don't want to waste the vet's time. When Alfie was little he jumped out of his run and face first into the fence & I didn't know whether I should rush him to the emergency vet (with no sign of injury and him acting totally normal) or if it would be ok to wait until morning for a normal appt so I asked on here. I'd much rather people asked if they're unsure so that we can reassure them that they're not being completely paranoid for worrying. :D:D

OP, It could just be bruising, hence the flinching, but we wouldn't be able to rule out any kind of injury either. To be on the safe side, I'd pop bunny to the vet for a quick check over. :love:

Tia once ran full force, head on into the corner of the shed - it was horrific and the noise she made was heart breaking - she was ok though, but felt abit sorry for herself for a few days, you could always ring the vets for advice (thats what I did when it happened to tia) and was told to keep an eye but if i was worried to take her in x

People don't always know whether it's worth stressing their rabbit with a vet visit, or don't want to waste the vet's time. When Alfie was little he jumped out of his run and face first into the fence & I didn't know whether I should rush him to the emergency vet (with no sign of injury and him acting totally normal) or if it would be ok to wait until morning for a normal appt so I asked on here. I'd much rather people asked if they're unsure so that we can reassure them that they're not being completely paranoid

OP, It could just be bruising, hence the flinching, but we wouldn't be able to rule out any kind of injury either. To be on the safe side, I'd pop bunny to the vet for a quick check over. :love:

Sorry was just saying :(

Back