• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I Bath Poppy

Janey

Warren Veteran
She's always been awful at cleaning herself, this has recently been exhasperated by the fact that she will wee on the wooden floor and therefore is getting wet and even more smelly than usual. If you were me would you give her a bottom bath?

I did it once before and managed to rip her skin when combing afterwards (despite being careful), so I am now wondering what is best. It feels like whatever I do is risky in some way. She will hate being bathed but being so dirty cant be comfortable or safe.

The reason she doesn't clean is probably down to her dental disease, she's always been the same since the very first week I had her 6.5 years ago.

One of our buns a little bit of a messy bum and mucky paws so we ran a little bit of hot water (tested it with our elbow as you would for a baby) and then popped the bun in it. It was extremely shallow and she happily padded up and down in it, then we got her out and popped her on a towel on our lap and gently patted her dry

We do have some rabbit shampoo but have never used it, pets a home do sell rabbit grooming wipes which may be less hassle than a bath, hope that helps.

I would definitely clean her as wee and poo on her skin will make her sore.

I used to have to clean Herbie's bum every day, he was a dental bun too (dodgy molars and no incisors). I used to do it with just warm water and I used those little round cleansing pads to gently wipe away the poo. I then dried him off with a wad of tissues by just gently pressing. It worked really well for me and meant that I didn't have to wet him too much.

I now have to do a similar thing with Roo, I don't have to clean him every day, but just now and again. He has no excuse for his grubbiness, he is just a dirty and lazy boy. :roll:

A bum wash won't hurt, just don't be tempted to try combing it whilst its wet at their skin can tear so easily.

I have a few that need their bots washed from time to time. I use a tiny amount of diluted baby bath and risnse very well, and I use the really good kitchen towels to dry them as they absorb most of the wetness.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I will give her a bottom bath tomorrow and pat dry, I think my problem was I did try to comb her when she was wet hence the awful accident. I will try & give her a gentle brush beforehand (she's got a very fluffy 'skirt' so gets knotty) and then just pat her dry as best as I can afterwards.

She will hate me but it does need doing I think, cruel to be kind eh, poor bunny.

I have been using something called Hibiscrub when bathing or cleaning our Bella, I got it from the vets but it also is sold in pharmacies. It's an antibacterial cleaner and safer than any shampoo apparently.

I have done bottom baths for my rabbit.

I use rabbit shampoo to clean the area and then jugs of lukewarm water to rinse it out - I have never actually put a rabbit into the water. (Takes two of us). If your rabbit tends to get knotty bits perhaps you could trim the area? I then pat dry and gently use a hairdryer on a low heat setting.

I will have a look into hibiscrub thanks. I do have a medicated shampoo from the vets as she gets flaky skin so I could use that.

I do cut bits out here and there but her whole bottom end is very thick fur so I cant really get rid of it all, lots of the hair is loose but I hate combing her because of her delicate skin, i realise it needs doing though so do it but probably not regularly enough.

Im lucky that she is very tolerant & although doesnt enjoy a bath doesnt struggle ir get too upset, I wouldnt have a chance with my other two.

She also loves being blown with warm air (positions herself right in front of the electric fan heater & vacuum cleaner vent) so I think she secretly enjoys the hairdryer, it takes forever though to even get her half dry.

Back