• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how often do rabbits chew stitches out.

blackbunsmum

Young Bun
Its me again being a weary worrier about Wanda. She came back from the vet wearing a little stretchy string vest but became obsessed about trying to chew it off. in the end she created a sore patch on her shoulder from trying to chew it so had to remove it. Now I am worried she might chew on her stitches as they are quife prominent where the cyst was removed. Is it common for rabbits to chew wounds? I have noticed her licking it a bit. Is it ok for her to do that? She is actually more relaxed since the vest came off and has been munching on hay more.

Do I need to put the vest on her overnight? I will be sleeping next to her indoor hutch in the spare room again

Depends on the bun I guess. My Chloe was a nightmare when she was spayed..had her stitches out same evening, so I took her to emergency vet. At Midnight she was stapled...over £100 later and 20 minutes later after driving home, she had her staples out! When Poppy was spayed, I asked for superglue on external wound and she was fine.

I think if she was going to get the stitches out, she would have had them out in minutes. I'd try to distract her as much as possible and keep an eye on the wound. If it does open up, then it is likely to get infected.

Some rabbits do chew a hell of a lot. Lola went for the tubigrip when her collar was off. I would be very wary of the sore becoming infected. If you are really worried I would call your vet just to have a chat. I hope one of the more knowing rabbit owners comes along and can give so some better advise than me. X

Has she had pain relief? It's very important, often they chew the area because it hurts.

This will sound a really daft question.. Forgive me...

To prevent chewing ,... do bunnies not get lampshades to prevent that?..

Yeah and it's horrible to have it on her. Please see my response in other thread. X

P.s not a daft question. I asked the same to my friend who is a vet.

It's better to get to the root of why they're chewing as the collars restrict bunny's movement and ability to eat and drink and also makes it impossible for them to eat their cecals. Some use a baby grow instead.

I just gave up on the collar after 4hrs ish. Was driving her and me mad! Now she is trying to chew/ clean her tubigrip off! Oh man it's going to be a long night.

My vets don't use collars on buns as they said buns often use their back legs to scratch the stitches out. I would take her back to vets for more pain relief. I'm not sure if they could give a local anaesthetic cream to go around the area to stop it itching.

I just gave up on the collar after 4hrs ish. Was driving her and me mad! Now she is trying to chew/ clean her tubigrip off! Oh man it's going to be a long night.

Tell me about it! I am on the sofa now suffering from sleep deprivation. Wanda kept chewing the stretchy vest all night and kept waking me up. I am giving her a break from it now and keeping an eye on her. She has licked underneath but not chewed so far.
What size tubigrip is Lola in? Wanda is 3.3 kg in weight. Has she chewed it off or is it quite firm?

Had a right performance getting the metacam in her. Some managed to go in her mouth and some on veg. Just sent hubbie out to get apples and dandilions as she loves them and cd put her meta on that tnite.
The spay wound is quite small but its the mammary lump wound that is more likely to attract her attention as is quite big. She def needs something round her in the night. I am so glad I work ftom home as I dont know how I would cope otherwise. She needs an eagle eye on her. So lively for a 5 yr old

What about a bib or something so that it covers the wound but she can duck down to eat her caecal.

Doughnut nibbled her stitches when she was spayed but not too badly.

What about a bib or something so that it covers the wound but she can duck down to eat her caecal.

Doughnut nibbled her stitches when she was spayed but not too badly.
The little menace would prob have most things off in a minute. She is so much feistier than my old male bridge buns. Might have to tubigrip her. She has her post op check tomorrow at 6. Hope I can keep wounds intact til then and then they might be able to put something else on to enable me to get some sleep. :(

Tell me about it! I am on the sofa now suffering from sleep deprivation. Wanda kept chewing the stretchy vest all night and kept waking me up. I am giving her a break from it now and keeping an eye on her. She has licked underneath but not chewed so far.
What size tubigrip is Lola in? Wanda is 3.3 kg in weight. Has she chewed it off or is it quite firm?

Had a right performance getting the metacam in her. Some managed to go in her mouth and some on veg. Just sent hubbie out to get apples and dandilions as she loves them and cd put her meta on that tnite.
The spay wound is quite small but its the mammary lump wound that is more likely to attract her attention as is quite big. She def needs something round her in the night. I am so glad I work ftom home as I dont know how I would cope otherwise. She needs an eagle eye on her. So lively for a 5 yr old

Lola is in a x large knee/medium thigh/ size G. She is 2.2 kgs. We have cut out 4 leg holes, bum area and a slot on the back to make it looser. It had 2 of us getting it on her and she was not a happy bun. A baby grow would be a great idea. Just cut a bum/pee area. Tubi is hard to get on. She has chewed it but not much at all. She is a million times better today. Honestly try apple juice. Works so much easier in a syringe.
How is your bun getting on? Any better?

Back