• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

giving wanda her metacam is proving difficult. Any suggestions?

blackbunsmum

Young Bun
I have got one very feisty bun who does not like being given metacam by syringe. I managted ok this morning and wrapped her in a blanket to stop her trying to escape and my husband held her whilst i syringed the 2ml metacam in.

This evening was another story. She really put up a fight and didnt want the syringe anywhere near her mouth. We probably managed to get about 1ml in and some she licked off the outside of her mouth. And this was with a towel wrapped round her. My bridge bun Merry was so easy and placid to medicate. Wanda is a different story. She is so full of energy and strong.

Any suggestions on how to get the metacam syringe in her mouth without stressing her too much. Thanks. I am feeling more exhausted post spay than her :(

I would try it either on or in some food, e.g. on a leaf of something yummy, or a tiny bit of mashed up banana. Then try hand/spoon-feeding it, or even leaving it on a plate or something for Wanda to eat herself.

Hi,

I find raspberries work really well. They usually have a very handy hollow, which you can drop the metacam into. Malcolm takes it without any problems at all that way.

Weetabix. I don't know what I would do without it. Doughnut goes mad for it and it soaks in all of the meds. She has nystatin, echinecea and metacam all mixed together and begs for more!
The nurses had trouble syringe feeding her too as she hates being picked up and gets stressed so have trouble catching her. They gave her weetabix too after talking to me and she was fine. She is a feisty rabbit as well and won't do anything she doesn't want to do!

Mini shredded wheat!

^^^This :thumb:. Flora has one with her metacam squirted inside it every day. The piggies, on the other hand, LOVE metacam and will usually take it straight from the syringe if they've ever been prescribed it.

No its dog. Asked vet abt it and its their policy to start high dose to get on top of pain and then reduce. Apparently rabs can tolerate v high doses of metacam. Reassured now as was worried. Main prob - gettin it in her. She hates the taste.

No its dog. Asked vet abt it and its their policy to start high dose to get on top of pain and then reduce. Apparently rabs can tolerate v high doses of metacam. Reassured now as was worried. Main prob - gettin it in her. She hates the taste.

What weight is your bun? Normal dosing is around 0.2ml per 1kg weight.

At such a high dose have you been given a gut protector like Zantac to use alongside the metacam?

Back