• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Animal care league? Spay

Destiny829

New Kit
I'm spaying my female and male rabbit I have two concerns because they don't do bloodwork on rabbits should i be worried about it? My female rabbit in the last month has Ben less active maybe breeding system or in heat but that worries me she's very active when not in cage? Has anyone worked with oak park animal care league?

Is the cage big enough? They need permanent access to around 44 sq ft. If she does then it is natural for them to be a bit more sleepy during the middle of the day, they tend to be more active dawn and dusk. Rabbits don't come into heat, they ovulate in response to being bred. Normally it's the opposite and they get a bit frisky in springtime!

It's been a while since mine were done but I don't remember any having bloodwork other than Mischa at old vets and we decided on that because he'd been ill a few months beforehand. My friend's rabbit was recommended to have bloodwork before he had an op for an abscess as he'd lost a LOT of weight. Basically it's your decision as to whether you want it done or not. I don't think my current vets do it as routine.

I don't know about the Animal Care League specifically as I think they are an American company?

Vets don't usually do blood work before a neuter unless there is reason for concern - such as health problems or old age. But, that said, a good vet will do them for other things - you weren't quite clear on whether they just don't do them as routine for neutering or whether they won't do bloodwork for rabbits full-stop. Blood tests are important for diagnosing illnesses if your rabbit got ill, so if your vet does not offer them at all I would look for a vet that does.

As for the sleepiness, I fully agree with what Elena has said. Also, sometimes if rabbits are bored they will also seem inactive, so that is something else to consider.

I'm sure you know this anyway, but do make sure that your female and male rabbit are not allowed in contact with each other until at least 8 weeks after they are both neutered. Rabbits can get pregnant extremely easily and do not have seasons or come into heat, they are fertile at all times. Unneutered rabbits also are very hormonal and are more likely to fight, particularly for territorial reasons, so there is a high risk of injury.

Yes, as the two posts above say it's quite normal for bunnies to be sleepy at certain times during the day when we're awake. Ludo is always asleep between 1pm and 5pm for example.

Back