• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor/Outdoor Runs and Bonding

KMazzy

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Jaffabun is now happily roaming about 24/7 in my big living room.

Yesterday I spoke to the nearest rescue centre about how to go about finding him a bunny friend. I don't want to start properly looking yet as a) I'm going on holiday in April and May so don't want other people to have to try to continue the bonding process and b) I haven't got all the equipment I need.

So far I've worked out I will need a temporary cage for the new bunny and a run so she can come out and about but not in the same space as Jaffa. I don't have any other rooms she could use sadly as I don't really want her running about in my bedroom while I'm trying to sleep.

I had a look on zooplus at runs but they don't seem tall enough. I'd like one I could take outside for grazing when it's warmer. There's a really reasonable one with a sunshade BUT I'm worried about using it indoors as Jaffa can jump REALLY high. If the roof was on he might jump on top (which I'm sure it's not designed for) and if the roof was off I'm pretty sure he could jump over.

Is it a bad idea to leave not yet bonded bunnies in the same room only separated by a run? Would it be better to let the new bunny loose in my bunnyproofed bedroom in the day then keep her in a cage overnight next to Jaffa's cage? If I did this would Jaffa need to be shut in his cage too? Would it trouble her if he jumped on top of her cage? I know they should be introduced in a neutral place but you should let them meet separated by a cage/run before you get to this stage.

I'm sorry I have so many questions but everyone on here is so helpful! I'll try and take some photos of Jaffy and his new set up soon.

Thank you very much everyone.

Yeah that metal run would be good, but then I would be worried about injuries they could cause each other through the bars as there is a significant gap.
If you could mesh around it then it would be better, but perhaps a wooden one would be better? I have a 6x4 one with small mesh that I bought off eBay for £70, they've gone up to £80 now but they fold flat and they would be safe to use outside in the summer too :) it has easy access from the roof or if you need to get in it them the whole roof folds off - so it's a good investment.

I have that run for outdoors.

Yes, they'd be able to do injuries to each other through the gaps as Aly&Poppy said.

Secondly, if the new bunny isn't people-friendly then those runs aren't easy to get the buns out of. There's no panels that slide down that are big enough for a human to get through, only three bunny sized doors. Fine if the bunny will run to you when they see you and fine if you're happy for the bunny to come and go as they please, but if there was an emergency then there could be a problem! :wave:

Aly&Poppy do you have a link or a good way to search for the run you have from ebay please?

I'd definitely prefer to buy once and buy right so I'm not so worried about the cost if it will last well and be suitable for both the bonding process and outdoor grazing.

Unfortunately the RSPCA centre near me is jam packed with rabbits right now so they can't help with bonding.

Aly&Poppy do you have a link or a good way to search for the run you have from ebay please?

I'd definitely prefer to buy once and buy right so I'm not so worried about the cost if it will last well and be suitable for both the bonding process and outdoor grazing.

Unfortunately the RSPCA centre near me is jam packed with rabbits right now so they can't help with bonding.

This is it :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-FULLY...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3cc8404605

Oooo there's an 8 x 4 one too at a similar price :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Rab...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3f23381990

Thank you! The smaller one says it's 60cm high so i assume the larger one is similar.

I'm just a bit worried about Jaffa jumping on the top - I don't know if that might damage the run/hurt himself/worry the bunny in the run! I think they're usually designed for bunnies being inside rather than outside at the same time.

I think I'd better trawl through the bonding threads and see if anyone has done anything similar.

Thank you! The smaller one says it's 60cm high so i assume the larger one is similar.

I'm just a bit worried about Jaffa jumping on the top - I don't know if that might damage the run/hurt himself/worry the bunny in the run! I think they're usually designed for bunnies being inside rather than outside at the same time.

I think I'd better trawl through the bonding threads and see if anyone has done anything similar.

I have no idea about the second one, the first one (6 x 4) is high, my pair can stretch right up and still have loads of room. Plenty of binky room :thumb: :lol:

You could always get bits of cardboard and cable tie them to the mesh :) then cover those with blankets or something.

It's strong, my uncles 10kg dog jumped on it and had a stroll around :shock: he was so heavy.. I couldn't lift him off, I had to push him :lol:

Brilliant - thank you. So I wouldn't have to worry about the construction and if I covered it it should be safe.

Now I just have to try to work out if the bunny inside would be worried by Jaffa hopping about above her!

Brilliant - thank you. So I wouldn't have to worry about the construction and if I covered it it should be safe.

Now I just have to try to work out if the bunny inside would be worried by Jaffa hopping about above her!

As long as it's covered to stop claws/toes getting stuck then it should be fine :)

Yes that's a thing isn't it :lol: I know mine would be :shock: to start with but would settle down, don't know how a bunny settling in would react though:)

Back