• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola been spayed. Question about eating.

Kayaksteph

Mama Doe
As title says I got Lola spayed today. Got her home about 4pm. She has drank water and had a chocolate treat but not eaten anything else and is no interested at the mo.

Roughly how long before I should be getting worried? Never been through this before.

Thanks in advance.
Steph. X

She is likely to be sleepy for a good few hours but it is important to tempt her to eat.

Ensure that she has had painkillers.

Keep tempting her with small amounts of tasty food for example some rocket, a little grated carrot or apple, fresh herbs (basil, parsley, mint, coriander), shredded greens, grass, dandilions. It's a good idea to wash the veg first and leave it damp so she gets some extra fluids. Keep clearing away any uneaten foods and replace with fresh.

You often find they eat overnight so make sure she has plenty to choose from.

Does she look comfortable?

Aww lots of vibes for Lola. If I remember Roxy just curled up for a good few hours and was pretty much back to normal the next day. I tempted her with herbs, banana and just gave anything to her for eating just to keep her guts moving.

What meds did the vet give her? X

she should not be left more than a few hours without eating,you could add boiling water to a bowl of food,mush it up and leave to cool down ,then put the mixture on a spoon and put it to her,or blend food with water and give a liitle throu7gh a syringe (better asking your vet how much) i had to do this for 3 days with my rabbit.also keep tempting with veggies and food,hope she feels better soon :D

She is likely to be sleepy for a good few hours but it is important to tempt her to eat.

Ensure that she has had painkillers.

Keep tempting her with small amounts of tasty food for example some rocket, a little grated carrot or apple, fresh herbs (basil, parsley, mint, coriander), shredded greens, grass, dandilions. It's a good idea to wash the veg first and leave it damp so she gets some extra fluids. Keep clearing away any uneaten foods and replace with fresh.

You often find they eat overnight so make sure she has plenty to choose from.

Does she look comfortable?

Thanks. Yeah she does look comfy. Just gave her, her meds. Trying her with anything and everything and she is not very interested. She is drinking water and apple juice with her meds in! He has pooped too.

Aww lots of vibes for Lola. If I remember Roxy just curled up for a good few hours and was pretty much back to normal the next day. I tempted her with herbs, banana and just gave anything to her for eating just to keep her guts moving.

What meds did the vet give her? X

She has got metacam. Trying her with everything. Now she has had meds for the night so will try her with more food.

she should not be left more than a few hours without eating,you could add boiling water to a bowl of food,mush it up and leave to cool down ,then put the mixture on a spoon and put it to her,or blend food with water and give a liitle throu7gh a syringe (better asking your vet how much) i had to do this for 3 days with my rabbit.also keep tempting with veggies and food,hope she feels better soon :D

Thanks. Might try doing it with her pellets. She has started moving around again, stretching and the curling up for a while. Feel like I am being daft asking a million of question on here. X

aww that's good she is starting to move around.oh i am the same but it is good to get some advise from people,just shows you care:D

Sorry another Question.

Is it normal for her have spells of normal ness then quiet again? She is not eating a lot but she is eating. Trying to decide weather or not to call the vet. :(

Has she had pain relief today, or is she due some? She should be eating more now,if she is needing pain relief you may be best contacting your vet. Is she pooing and drinking?

Has she had pain relief today, or is she due some? She should be eating more now,if she is needing pain relief you may be best contacting your vet. Is she pooing and drinking?

Yeah she had 8 drops of metacam at 9.30am. She gets this twice a day. She had a little munch on hay about 20mins ago. She pood and peed on my bfs seat this morning. And peed again about 12 noon. She is drinking a little but I am trying to give her watery food too. And as I type she is munching hay. And again perked up again. I am so confused!!

When I had my doe spayed, the vet did say that she would not start eating again as quickly as Dipsy did. The males seem to start eating again almost straight away apparently, but females don't. She does sound fine actually from what you have said, but I can understand why you are worried, because it is still a change to what we are used to with them.

Just got my 5 yr Wanda back from her spay and mammary cyst removal. The vet has put a little stretchy jacket on her to stop her chewing stitches. She has been prescribed 2ml of metacam twice a day. I got her back at 4.30 and she has been nibbling away at spring greens, parsley celery and carrot and a bit of hay. She still hasnt pooped yet. How long does it take them? She has a female companion(her mum Blackberry) but am keeping her outside the indoor hutch as otherwise I cant be sure who has pooped! Is this the right thing to do?

Last edited:
Just got my 5 yr Wanda back from her spay and mammary cyst removal. The vet has put a little stretchy jacket on her to stop her chewing stitches. She has been prescribed 2ml of metacam twice a day. I got her back at 4.30 and she has been nibbling away at spring greens, parsley celery and carrot and a bit of hay. She still hasnt pooped yet. How long does it take them? She has a female companion(her mum Blackberry) but am keeping her outside the indoor hutch as otherwise I cant be sure who has pooped! Is this the right thing to do?

Replied to your thread, asked the vet when I saw her.

Update..... Lola has just been taken in over night as her wound has opened and vet is worried about infection. She has been getting better all day and not showing any signs so when bf got home just wanted to check her as she had jumped up on the seat a few times. Checked and everything looked good but about 8.30 I had a feeling and we checked again. Saw a little hole so called the vet. Even sent her a pic. Vet is not 100% worried about the hole but will give little stitch and antibiotics, plus gut stims too. Hate this feeling of not being to do anything to her but hate the feeling of could I have noticed this before. :cry:

The vet has said to get an old sock and make a jumper out of it for Lola to cover her wound. Has anyone done this or any other suggestions?

I think you have done brilliantly, you followed your gut instincts and knew something wasn't right, probably opened up her wound from jumping on the chair, but she will be back to normal in no time, and in the best place at the vets xx

Replied to your thread, asked the vet when I saw her.

Update..... Lola has just been taken in over night as her wound has opened and vet is worried about infection. She has been getting better all day and not showing any signs so when bf got home just wanted to check her as she had jumped up on the seat a few times. Checked and everything looked good but about 8.30 I had a feeling and we checked again. Saw a little hole so called the vet. Even sent her a pic. Vet is not 100% worried about the hole but will give little stitch and antibiotics, plus gut stims too. Hate this feeling of not being to do anything to her but hate the feeling of could I have noticed this before. :cry:

The vet has said to get an old sock and make a jumper out of it for Lola to cover her wound. Has anyone done this or any other suggestions?

I think a sock may be a little too tight and itchy. My bun had a newborn cotton t-shirt, that was nice and loose but kept the wound covered, and still let the air get to it for it to heal.

I think you have done brilliantly, you followed your gut instincts and knew something wasn't right, probably opened up her wound from jumping on the chair, but she will be back to normal in no time, and in the best place at the vets xx

Thanks. Fingers crossed will get her home today. My fault as she wanted to snuggle with me. Will be sitting on the floor from now on. Didn't think having a rabbit would be as hard as it is but would not change it/ her for the world.

Thanks. Fingers crossed will get her home today. My fault as she wanted to snuggle with me. Will be sitting on the floor from now on. Didn't think having a rabbit would be as hard as it is but would not change it/ her for the world.
Its tougn dealing with a post spay bun isnt it?
I can totally relate to what you are going through asI am coping with a spayed bun for the first time right now too. I slept in the spare bedroom with her hutch next to my bed ladt night and she kept waking me up trying to get her little stretchy vest off and her mum who was free ranging in the room kept jumping on my bed. What a night! She had done quite alot of poos by morning thank god but wont stop trying to chew the vest. I hope she doesnt chew stitches too.
How much metacam is your bun on and what weight is she? Mine has been put on quite a high dose which is worrying me - 2ml twice a day. Mine is 3.3 kg in weight - so av size.
I am worrying about her bursting stitches as she is so lively. First thing this morning She jumped out of her cage before I could stop her and gave me the run around!
Its going to be a tough few days and I am so tired!

Its tougn dealing with a post spay bun isnt it?
I can totally relate to what you are going through asI am coping with a spayed bun for the first time right now too. I slept in the spare bedroom with her hutch next to my bed ladt night and she kept waking me up trying to get her little stretchy vest off and her mum who was free ranging in the room kept jumping on my bed. What a night! She had done quite alot of poos by morning thank god but wont stop trying to chew the vest. I hope she doesnt chew stitches too.
How much metacam is your bun on and what weight is she? Mine has been put on quite a high dose which is worrying me - 2ml twice a day. Mine is 3.3 kg in weight - so av size.
I am worrying about her bursting stitches as she is so lively. First thing this morning She jumped out of her cage before I could stop her and gave me the run around!
Its going to be a tough few days and I am so tired!

Oh no hugs for you. It is very tough but totally worth it. Great that she has pood. Thought you might have a sleepiness plus the mum bun jumping on you is cute! The buns are so cute but so so fast. Lola is going to get penned in today and for a few days. I thought yesterday she was better so let her run about more! She is about 2.3kg so get 8 drops of metacam twice a day. I wish I had a spare room. The living room floor is not great... Can't wait to move. :love:

Back