• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Is my bunny going to be lonely?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hello everyone,

I hope you can help, I need some advice!

I'll introduce myself first - I'm Jo and I have a dwarf lop called Fred. He's 5. I've had him since he was a few weeks old; I adopted him and his sister, George together. About a year ago George died suddenly of a bowel obstruction - it was an awful time for me and probably for Fred too! Initially he was lost and confused and seemed to keep looking for her but then he settled down and even seemed a bit more relaxed - she was always the dominant one and pushed him around a bit! I've been out of work for the last few months and have spent a lot more time with Fred, but I'm working again from next week and I've been wondering whether he could do with a friend, but am concerned because he's very grumpy and territorial and I don't want to upset him!

What should I do? Opinions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Jo :)

Firstly, welcome! :wave:

Most bunnies love company. Very few won't bond and if you're going back to work and Fred will be alone more, then getting him a new friend is a brillant idea! :thumb:

Is he neutered? If not, that will definitely help with the territorial behaviour and grumpiness. If he already is, then it's not really a problem. Most bunnies will bond with someone ... it just might take them a couple of 'dates' to decide! And if it's done on neutral territory (as a rescue will do), then there isn't really a territorial issue. You have to completely disinfect the hutch so that he doesn't become territorial over it when he comes home, but the chances are overwhelmingly in the favour that he will bond with a girlfriend bun :)

It is worth trying. They do act differently alone and together. We have a playful bun who amused himself, hilarious to see him, he was happy but after a year of living alone we got him a wifeybun and he is now happy and very content. Our house bunny loves us but since the new bun arrived he now pines at the window at them both so now we are looking for a lady for him. We have no idea how he will react but want to try it if it means he can be more contented too. We cant be with them 24/7 so a bunny pal is for the best I think

Is he neutered? If not, that will definitely help with the territorial behaviour and grumpiness. If he already is, then it's not really a problem. Most bunnies will bond with someone ... it just might take them a couple of 'dates' to decide! And if it's done on neutral territory (as a rescue will do), then there isn't really a territorial issue. You have to completely disinfect the hutch so that he doesn't become territorial over it when he comes home, but the chances are overwhelmingly in the favour that he will bond with a girlfriend bun :)

I knew there was a reason I stuck to GC! Much better than my response! :lol:

Thanks all! Sounds like I should start looking for a girly bun for him.
He is neutered, I think the grumpiness is just his personality! :lol:
Would it be best to find him a bun of a similar age?

Thanks

It is worth trying. They do act differently alone and together. We have a playful bun who amused himself, hilarious to see him, he was happy but after a year of living alone we got him a wifeybun and he is now happy and very content. Our house bunny loves us but since the new bun arrived he now pines at the window at them both so now we are looking for a lady for him. We have no idea how he will react but want to try it if it means he can be more contented too. We cant be with them 24/7 so a bunny pal is for the best I think

Im getting my house bun a bf, wont be for a while but im so excited! Need to get Woody set up with his new gf at the end of the month as well very exciting!

I think it is better for them to have a friend esp when you go to work :thumb:

Thanks all! Sounds like I should start looking for a girly bun for him.
He is neutered, I think the grumpiness is just his personality! :lol:
Would it be best to find him a bun of a similar age?

Thanks

That would be the best choice:) But it's not a must.

Back