• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think your rabbit KNOWS you?

marchi1990

Mama Doe
I have often wondered - and discussed with my family - if we believe that rabbits truly know their owners? As in, if there was a room of people, do you believe that your rabbit would be able to pick you out from the crowd? Also, if somebody else started to feed them - do you think they would notice?

My opinion: I do believe that Woody knows me, when I bring him in he only ever jumps up on the sofa next to me for a stroke - nobody else.

What do you think? Would love to get people's opinion/experiences on this...

Haha yes they know when im in a bad mood or not paying attention, I get bitten the most in those moods!:lol::lol:

Sorry just realised what you meant, yes, I am usually the one to feed, clean out, put out, hay ect, and I get a lot more bouncy buns than anyone else does when they go down there, But I dont think they mind who feeds them, so long as we are on time :lol:

Bumble definitely knows me because she grooms me. She knows when OH comes out to feed and stroke her because she won't groom him it's just me

yes my two know who I am :wave: I had some forum members visit on Saturday, and although Imogen hates me currently she did stick fairly close to me, Sebastian checked in with me every so often and stayed around the same area I was in but he loves everyone so happily mooched around :roll::lol: They'll eat anything anyone gives them but when I go away they sulk. I went away Saturday night and my dad fed them, they were perfectly happy with that but they currently sulk when I go into the room :lol:

Yes, I can freely walk around when the bunnies are out, and if they are flopped go and give them strokes. But if my OH gets up and tries to stroke them they run away. I get groomed by them too, but he doesn't :lol:

Wow such interesting experience from you all - Woody is similar. If I stroke him when he is flopped out that is fine but if anybody else does he legs it!

Mainly Poppy but she's like a baby. Donny and Lola just like being given fresh hay so it could be anyone :lol: Leo loves fuss from anyone but I think he knows us :love:

Definitely, Ludo is more comfortable with me than anyone else, most visitors comment on it.

He won't let anyone else pick him up and he'll only snuggle properly onto me.

At the vet he always dives onto me to the point where sometimes he has to be treated in another room or on the floor.

Oh and he'll only lick my face.

I had a guinea pig who was the same. She used to climb her way over the laps of the other family members until she'd reached mine to sit snuggled up with me. :love:
But she was so special. :love:

Definitely, Ludo is more comfortable with me than anyone else, most visitors comment on it.

He won't let anyone else pick him up and he'll only snuggle properly onto me.

At the vet he always dives onto me to the point where sometimes he has to be treated in another room or on the floor.

Oh and he'll only lick my face.

I had a guinea pig who was the same. She used to climb her way over the laps of the other family members until she'd reached mine to sit snuggled up with me. :love:
But she was so special. :love:

Oh that's so lovely about the guinea - special memories.

Woody has only licked my face once but it was a real sign of love.

Yup! He knows I'm first in command, my sister is second in command but my dad is most definitely at the bottom of the pile :lol:
He'll have a nosey at visitors or new people, and he's always friendly, but I'm in charge and he knows exactly who I am :)

I think they do. At the vets they will always jump back into my arms despite them not liking being cuddles. When I was really really upset one day they allowed for me to cuddle them for hours and when I call to them, they come running.

So yes, I would like to think so.

I think they do. At the vets they will always jump back into my arms despite them not liking being cuddles. When I was really really upset one day they allowed for me to cuddle them for hours and when I call to them, they come running.

So yes, I would like to think so.

I love that they come when you call - that is adorable!

I think rabbits can definitely tell the difference between people, probably all animals can.

2 of my 3 seem to prefer my OH (even though I do virtually everything, he just puts hay in at night), one prefers whoever he thinks has food. I think they're more comfortable with me, but they get more exited about him. I bet he secretly feeds them treats!

Mine definatly know me. If we have guests they'll stick by me and only let me and OH stroke them.
OH said they were all a bit quiet when I first went away, and when I got back after 3 weeks they all let me stroke and cuddle them straight away, which they'd definatly not do if they thought I was a stranger :love:

I think all three know me, but Joshua is the only one who shows it. Before I adopted him I would visit him at the shelter and the staff told me that after I visited him he was much more relaxed, he wouldn't do that for anyone else. The lady in charge of small animals told me that I had done more for him in a month then anyone could have done in a year! I am still the only person who he lets hold him and he gets incredibly angry if I go to a friend's house for a night.

The buns who have been at the shelter for awhile also know me, they don't run away when I reach into their cage to pick them up, and as soon as they see us they come bounding to the front of their cage which they don't do for others. There was a bun who sadly passed away at the shelter who would run to the front of his cage and put his head down to be petted as soon as we entered the room. In the mornings during his outtime he would binky across his x-pen if I passed by him.

I think rabbits can definitely tell the difference between people, probably all animals can.

2 of my 3 seem to prefer my OH (even though I do virtually everything, he just puts hay in at night), one prefers whoever he thinks has food. I think they're more comfortable with me, but they get more exited about him. I bet he secretly feeds them treats!

Hahaha secret night-time feeding!

Mine definatly know me. If we have guests they'll stick by me and only let me and OH stroke them.
OH said they were all a bit quiet when I first went away, and when I got back after 3 weeks they all let me stroke and cuddle them straight away, which they'd definatly not do if they thought I was a stranger :love:

Awwww they missed you!

I think all three know me, but Joshua is the only one who shows it. Before I adopted him I would visit him at the shelter and the staff told me that after I visited him he was much more relaxed, he wouldn't do that for anyone else. The lady in charge of small animals told me that I had done more for him in a month then anyone could have done in a year! I am still the only person who he lets hold him and he gets incredibly angry if I go to a friend's house for a night.

The buns who have been at the shelter for awhile also know me, they don't run away when I reach into their cage to pick them up, and as soon as they see us they come bounding to the front of their cage which they don't do for others. There was a bun who sadly passed away at the shelter who would run to the front of his cage and put his head down to be petted as soon as we entered the room. In the mornings during his outtime he would binky across his x-pen if I passed by him.

You and Joshua were obviously destined for eachother then! Adorable. My Woody comes up to me for strokes too

Back