• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leo is neutered and Luna is home! (Pics)

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
Brave Leo has been neutered and is recovering well.. My favourite vet who was there when Leila passed did the op and check-ups which I'm pleased about. The stitches are very neat. He's a little swollen down there but its gradually going down.. He's on bed-rest til monday 18th when he has his 10 day checkup. He also had a mini dental for lower molar spurs but the vet is confident that now he's eating hay as part of his diet he won't need regular dentals, he has very well aligned teeth :)

I collected little Luna my 10 week (jaw droppingly beautiful) baby girl ( who i like to believe is leilas reincarnation ;)) last weds. Shes a lionhead cross mini lop but looks nothing like either! She's living in a separate cage until shes spayed which sadly wont be for another 4 months. However ill let them have supervised play together beginning when leo has been signed off from his neuter and all recovered, which happens to be the right amount of days to make sure theres no sperm retained.

Luna is quite timid still but shes still young, gradually getting used to me.. Even jumped onto my lap to get off the laminate, which leila used to do! She is so cal, when held though, doesn't wriggle yet, doesn't mind anywhere being touched, i can even kiss her little nose, no problem, unlike leo who detests that ;)

Anyway he are some pics!
image_zpsd68e3069.jpg

image_zpscb79c23a.jpg

image_zpsc46366d9.jpg

Some more of leo before the op so he doesnt feel left out
image_zps665d9855.jpg

image_zps2325f435.jpg

image_zpsa0cfe3e5.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pics. :love: I hope Leo makes a good recovery. xx

Thank you, the swelling seems to be going down..first they (his testicles) looked like ..well.. empty! But the next morning they were swollen to bursting point! :? They are slowly draining again now though.. He's got pain meds which are also anti-inflammatories..th

I think the hardest thing for him though is being locked in for the 10 days.. only a week after tomorrow to go.. *taps fingers* soo hard keeping him in.. but it's for the very best

Aw gorgeous, :love::love: both Leo and Luna. I wouldn't say she had mini in her at all, :lol: maybe dwarf lop cross due to her ears lol mini's have tiny ears. She probably didn't get the lionhead gene from one of her parents to show it either. Such a pretty girl though!

Best not to give them play dates until the girl is neutered, he will still be fertile for up to 6 weeks and she could have a hormone surge which could ruin their bonding, once a couple have a really bad fight it could make it near impossible to bond, plus would be frustrating to keep putting them together for a little while to get used to each other then separate. Keep them next to each other in pens would be your best bet.

Good luck with everything! :love:

Aw gorgeous, :love::love: both Leo and Luna. I wouldn't say she had mini in her at all, :lol: maybe dwarf lop cross due to her ears lol mini's have tiny ears. She probably didn't get the lionhead gene from one of her parents to show it either. Such a pretty girl though!

Best not to give them play dates until the girl is neutered, he will still be fertile for up to 6 weeks and she could have a hormone surge which could ruin their bonding, once a couple have a really bad fight it could make it near impossible to bond, plus would be frustrating to keep putting them together for a little while to get used to each other then separate. Keep them next to each other in pens would be your best bet.

Good luck with everything! :love:
Tjanks :)

Its defo mini lop, i know the breeder and the sire is a purebred black butterfly mini lop, i have pics of both parents, the dam is a single maned lionhead. Some of the litter had half lopping ears, some had full manes others half. All lops ears have to be rather long to lop. They look shorter than up eared rabbits ears but they are longer in general, because if you thnk, they begin right at the crown, if they were upright they'd look long! So when you see a lop cross who doesnt lop they appear to have quite long ears. I did a bit f research on it all before i reserved her. I think hers might flop slightly when shes relaxed as she grows older or helicopter. Im hoping they'll stay as upright as possible though as i love the natural look! She's the perfect balance for me as im not keen on either of the parents breeds i just fell in love with her :)

Luna's sire
image_zpsb0958164.jpg

Luna's dam
image_zpsfbe866ca.jpg

And the litter, bless them, luna third from right.
image_zpse0acc46d.jpg

And just for fun i recieved a nice email from Leo's previous owner with his full history. he was an accident litter of her friends this is Leos dam and aunt
image_zps90b4443b.jpg

Im gonna speak to my vet about it all next mon

Last edited:
Good old Leo got signed off today, swellings nearly gone and one stitch completely disappeared :) he's happy to have had a nice run around after 10 days!

Good old Leo got signed off today, swellings nearly gone and one stitch completely disappeared :) he's happy to have had a nice run around after 10 days!

Glad he's healing up nicely :D well done for managing to keep him contained for a week, I didn't manage with Lilly :oops: after one NIGHT she was frantically trying to get out, so I let her thinking "she's too sore to do much" but oh no she had other plans, the biggest binkies ever and running jumps all over the sofas :roll: unlike Harvey who had the more minor boy op and acted miserable for about 3 days, boys eh?! :p

Glad he's healing up nicely :D well done for managing to keep him contained for a week, I didn't manage with Lilly :oops: after one NIGHT she was frantically trying to get out, so I let her thinking "she's too sore to do much" but oh no she had other plans, the biggest binkies ever and running jumps all over the sofas :roll: unlike Harvey who had the more minor boy op and acted miserable for about 3 days, boys eh?! :p

Heheh, aww your girl sounds like a toughy! I managed 10 days other than a few little escapes and one small run in a small room ! He was only sulky for the one day (well also a bit drugged up still!) but after that he was chucking his stuff all over the place :S but he was quite swollen so I did what the vet recommended like a good girl! :?

PS, how long after your does spay did she start eating and how old was she? I need to get Luna spayed at the end of June and I'm already nervous :S More nervous than with Leo as she'll be younger and she's a girl so it's a bit of a bigger op...

PS, how long after your does spay did she start eating and how old was she? I need to get Luna spayed at the end of June and I'm already nervous :S More nervous than with Leo as she'll be younger and she's a girl so it's a bit of a bigger op...

Lilly was 16 weeks when she was spayed. The vets I went to had a policy of 16 weeks old minimum, but only then if the rabbit is big enough, and at 16 weeks she was 2.3kg so plenty big enough :) I wanted to get her done ASAP because she was already bonded to Harvey and I was worried her hormones and the fact it was spring would upset their bond, the day before her spay she'd actually humped him do I reckon I got her done just as her hormones were starting to kick in!

She ate almost as soon as she was home, but begrudgingly, as in I'd shove a handful of hay, grass and herbs in her face which would annoy her and she'd go to move it with her mouth and every so often rather than dropping it she'd nibble it. She was properly eating the following morning though :) Lilly had a very fast recovery though so I don't know what the normal is, it's just best to get them eating ASAP after!

Try not to be too worried. It is a bigger op yes, but it's still a standard op your vet should be very good at. And it's better to have an op now than get the cancer later, because that will either kill or mean an op anyway, which is more dangerous if they're ill! Lilly hasn't humped Harvey since her op and they're best of friends, no hormonal behaviour (well grumpiness, but I reckon that's just her, can't blame the hormones now :p), I personally think girl bunnies are a lot braver than boy bunnies anyway :lol:

Back