• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good wishes please for Murphy......Update post 14

Tillybunny

Mama Doe
Please could I ask for your good wishes and thoughts for Murphy my approx 7yr old choc lop rescue bun. he is has been at vets since Thurs with jaw abscess, he has had operation/baytril/metacam/gut stimulant and is having wound flushed/cleaned twice daily. He stopped eating and so they have kept him in, vet rang this morning and he seems to have improved slightly, ie: he has produced a few small poos and eaten a little hay and greens (he is being syringed fed).
Any advice on abscesses would be welcomed too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your support biscandmatt1 much appreciated:)

that's ok. it's so worrying when they're ill and at the vets :( hope murphy steadily starts to improve. :)

i don't know anything about abscesses though so hope someone else can offer some advice. :wave:

come on Murphy!!! Get well soon...

Lots of get well vibes and noserubs!!!,

Fee xxxxxxx

I hope he feels.better soon.

What are they flushing with? I'm using potassium permanganate and then syringing manuka honey in. I know from searching threads on here that manuka can get good results, but Charlie is still far from winning his battle.

Did your vets analyse the bacteria causing the infection at all? They're all different but baytril didn't touch Charlie's but bacteriology has shown them which anti biotic has the best chance of working (the infection he is seems virtually resistant to most things) x

Not sure what they are flushing it with, vet said she would get the nurse to show me everything tomorrow evening, when hopefully he will be well enough to come home. They have been packing it with manuka honey, but as far as Iam aware they have not done bacteria test, will enquire about that though. Thanks very much for your advice. He is such a tolerant, good natured rabbit and I hate to see him in distress.

Update

Murphy is back home, not doing too badly. He is eating a little and being syringe fed as well. we are cleaning/flushing wound twice a day, with hibisrub and packing with honey and intrasite. He's not out of the woods yet by any means as you will all know, but we are taking one day at a time, whilst he seems reasonably happy. Hope Charlie and all other poorly buns everywhere are doing ok.:love:

I'm pleased he's back home with you and more comfortable. Charlie looked slightly better at his check yesterday and certainly seems well but infection wise is far from out of the woods.

Fingers crossed for both of them and all the other poorly buns x

Back