• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail cutting

bunkin

Warren Veteran
We have never needed to cut bunnies nails while he was outside as he was on flagstones so they kept themselves down but now he is inside bun they need clipping. He will totally freak as he hates having his feet touched but we need to do them in next few days. Have got good clippers but wondered if you have any hints or tips and how often indoor buns need them doing.

(I have clipped bunny nails many years ago and know to avoid the coloured area)

bump - I trance mine but I know that isn't what most people would do! Mine are only tranced for about 30 seconds so it doesn't cause much stress for them, luckily two of mine are outside and the other one who's inside is an absolute babe and will let me clip with no trouble!

Or could you wrap them in a towel and do it then?:wave:

I find sitting on the floor and holding them in my lap the best way. I also find that if you apply a little pressure to the palm bit of their paw their nails stick out and are easier to cut.

Have some clean water and corn starch ready incase they bleed to clean up the wound and stop the bleeding respectively.

I plop them on the floor on a blanket, sit right behind them and give them lots of strokes so they're happy to be sat there. Then I just lean over and very gently clip each claw, I don't normally need to pick their paws up to do it. They get a few treats along the way if they're good. If they're not good, I.e. show any signs of distress, I stop.

I find this works well for buns who don't like to be picked up, as they're sat on the floor and not being held or restrained.

thanks everyone. I think we might need a vet visit :roll: as he totally refuses to let you near his feet even when he is being held secure he goes ballistic. My son is used to clipping dog nails and he said he would help. Husband managed to hold bun still for son to get back paw and son just clipped 2 mm off one claw which was nowhere near the coloured bit it was just the end bit and blood everywhere- we were all traumatised let alone bunny!

Son has a mini high speed sander, for animals I hasten to add and he does his dogs ( 2) with that but given the blood to end of claw I think I would rather he see a vet first.

I of course am of no use not being able to see much and husband can't do it on his own. We tried doing the treat on floor as suggested and not picking him up but as soon as anything goes near his feet he jumps away.

Maybe lessons in hypmotising rabbit would not go amiss:)

So I think will make vet appt next week to see what they say about him and they can do his nails in case he is a bit odd and has a blood supply to end of every nail:shock:

Back