• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on my little Timmy - dental - post 22

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
:cry:My beautiful Timmy recently had a tooth removed that was broken, there was also a missing tooth discovered next to it so now he has no teeth upper right. The teeth on the left are all fine but he is extremely soggy around both sides of his mouth and I have just found he has a massive bald patch under his chin/chest area - the skin is not red and sore but the fur around is soggy.Timmy is eating, drinking and pooping well. Timmy is my first ever dental bun - is this a common occurrence and what can I do for him - advice please would be welcome x

Last edited:
Hi Sue. It sounds like he may have some issues in his mouth again. Dribbling usually occurs when there is a lesion (in my experience), could be by a tooth rubbing against a cheek or tongue. It is not a usual occurence once they have had a dental, it normally goes after this.

I would advise you to take him to get checked out asap if he is dribbling/wet under the chin and it is not just that he has been drinking water from a bowl or something.

The bald spot may have been from his previous issue and you didn't notice at the time (it is hard to see under bunny chins sometimes).

I will be taking him back - just want to learn more from dental bunny 'experts' - could he be dribbling because he has a big gap now or because he is getting used to having 'different' teeth - I hope it's nothing serious :cry::cry:

I will be taking him back - just want to learn more from dental bunny 'experts' - could he be dribbling because he has a big gap now or because he is getting used to having 'different' teeth - I hope it's nothing serious :cry::cry:

I can only go on the experience I had with Homer and it was a spur rubbing on his cheek and cut into it. The teeth were sorted and he was given some abx for a couple of days and was fine again. I then got used to looking for signs before it got to this point. I also had another dental bunny and as soon as I noticed he was getting wet under his chin I knew it was a sign he needed a dental again.

It could be because of the gap, maybe someone else can share that experience.

It does sound like he has dental issues, the wet chin being the main sign. Its best to get him checked over as soon as possible and if need be get his teeth burred whilst he is still eating, drinking etc. How long ago was his last dental? My bun was at one point (and now seems to be repeating her pattern) going every 3 weeks for a dental. Sending vibes for Timmy:wave: x

Only last week - one side is perfect though :cry::cry:

Did they do any x-rays to see if he had elongated roots at all? If he does have to have another dental then if he has not had them already, ask them for some so you know what you are dealing with (if it is elongated roots, it is mainly a case of keeping on top of the teeth).

If it is any comfort to you after Homey had his first dental we had to take him back pretty soon until we got into more of a routine and knew the signs to look for. He had dentals for 5 years after we found out he had elongated roots and his teeth were in bad shape (non-hay eater).

It sounds like there is more going on than just ordinary dental problems, has he had any xrays?

Is he eating OK? I mean does he eat normally?

Sending masses and masses of vibes for gorgeous Timmy :love::love:

He hasn't had xrays - but I will have a word with another bunny pal whose vet is amazing - and take my Timmytime :love::love: to see him x

My experience of tooth extraction was that there was no dribling afterwards so I'd wonder if there was something else going on. From experience with my Charlie, it seems that what you see in the mouth is only the tip of the iceberg. He had all his teeth removed down the left but the right seemed perfect. Then we realised he had more problems and x rays show that his mouth is actually a complete disaster as his remaining roots aren't good. (actually that's the least of his problems but you don't need to know!)

X rays might be helpful?

Hope he feels better soon x

Thank you for asking - the vet had a really good look inside Timmy's mowfie :love::love: he was such a good little boy - there was no sign of spurs, sores, cuts, trapped food, sharp teeth but lots of dribble!! The vet said he will probably need regular dentals on the one side as they are already growing but as he is eating well, drinking and pooping fine it is best to leave him alone rather than do unnecessary things at this time that might stress him. It is possible that he is still getting used to being 'gappy' bless him :love::love: unless he appears poorly or I am concerned in the meantime, i will take him back in a few weeks again to check up. Meanwhile, it's just a case of keeping an eye on his soggy bits :love::love: and from my point of view - lots more cuddles and sloppy kisses xxxxxx:love::love::love:

Sorry if you've already said this and I've missed it. You mentioned that one tooth had been removed, was the tooth that would normally grind against this one removed as well as it'll grow very quickly without having the other tooth there to wear it down. I'm not sure what others experiences may be but our JayJay had a tooth missing and needed dentals regularly to keep the others worn down. He wasn't a great hay eater mind you.

Back