• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another Metacam dosage question

bunnykin

Young Bun
My little Simba was prescribed Metacam. I was given a bottle described as a 0.5mg/ml oral suspension for cats. The vets label says give 2.5 cc twice daily if needed. The syringe that came with the bottle and fits on the bottle nozzle measures in kg weight of the "cat". I think Simba is about 2.5 kg weight. I found a cc to ml converter on web and apparently that is 2.5 ml but judging from my other syringes that looks like a huge amount. Is this perhaps because it is a weak suspension or should I stick to the 2.5 kg weight on the syringe (which isn't such a huge amount of Metacam)?

Is it a syringe with pink markings? The pink one is in weight so if I had to give Doughnut any, she weighs just over 1kg so she would get up to the first marking. I would say you would go to in between the two and the three marking.

She is on dog metacam which is stronger but I have the black marking one which she has 0.4ml a day split into two.

If unsure I would call the vets up. The nurse will be able to help if you don't get to speak to him.

Last edited:
Thank you. I think I might call them even though out of hours now because they did prescribe it and it really isn't clear to me what dose they're recommending. My syringe has the markings between kg too. Isn't it horrible knowing they're in pain.

It is. I know I can give Doughnut an extra dose if necessary so 0.6ml a day. Metacam is great but because I have the dog one I'm not sure about the cat one. I know it's normally 0.4ml/kg or one marking on the pink syringe per kg of weight, but like I say that's the dog one. I would assume it is the same with the cat but better to check as then you will know Simba is painfree, since it's weaker she may be able to have more.

I'm pleased you checked, it's the same as the dog one then.

I put her meds on a bit of weetabix as she loves it and it's less stressful than syringe feeding. Just a thought if it stresses you both out. The nurses at the hospital did this too after I told them as they said she was a nightmare for syringe feeding! She hates being picked up and once she knows you're after her she's off.

Unfortunately I need to pick Simba up to syringe feed him at moment anyway as he's not eating. He also hates being syringe fed and holds the mixture in his mouth for ages waiting for an opportunity to spit it back out. How long is Doughnut on metacam for? This forum is so good for advice but so sad to read about people's bunnies being unwell.

Oh that's a shame.

She's been on it for about 3 months now. Sometimes 0.6ml a day when I've seen she's in pain. I am reducing her down to 0.2ml at the end of next week. Last time I did this she took a turn for the worst but I think she will be OK now as I think she's recovered, well I'm hoping anyway!

Back