• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please..... Is this a dreadful idea?

Autumn

Warren Scout
Dexter has been through a lot this week! He's still not eating well, although seems fairly happy in himself ( still a bit quiet after his op).

I am wondering if he'd settle far better outside away from all the chaos ( 4kids!)

He's currently got free run of the conservatory which is shut off and has no heating. Obviously I moved his crate into the warmer part if the house last night as he didn't have his op until very late.

I'm collecting his new hutch this afternoon and can't help thinking he might settle better outside but am worried that this is not a good idea? What would you all do?

The conservatory is basically outdoor temp as we keep the interior door shut all the time.

Not really much advice to be honest, apart from that rabbits have trouble regulating temperature after an op so should be kept nice and warm. Have you got a hot water bottle you could fill to keep him a little warmer? Or a quiet part of the house that is warmer than the conservatory? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, bumping this up so someone more experienced might see this and give you some decent advice, sorry :wave:

Personally, I would keep him indoors where you are more likely be able to spot any problems. He is best kept in a warmer part of the house until he is fully recovered. Could you keep him in your bedroom, and just make it off bounds for the kids, and get them to be quiet around him? It could take him a few days to get eating properly, especially if they gave him a sedative as well as anaesthetic. The vets did that to Pebbles once, and he actually slept in my bed with me under the duvet as he was so cold and groggy.

Keep temptimg him with herbs and moistened pellets. He will need to go back to vets this evening for additional pain relief if the vet didn't give you any to take home & gut stimulant if he still isn't eating.

Not really much advice to be honest, apart from that rabbits have trouble regulating temperature after an op so should be kept nice and warm. Have you got a hot water bottle you could fill to keep him a little warmer? Or a quiet part of the house that is warmer than the conservatory? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, bumping this up so someone more experienced might see this and give you some decent advice, sorry :wave:

I have moved him upstairs to the family bathroom. Much warmer up there and he's currently flopped out under the radiator :)

He has had a bit of hay, some moistened pellets and licked some mushed banana from a spoon so I'm feeling a little less worried now. I don't know how people with special needs bunnies cope. I've been a nervous wreck since Tuesday and yesterday was so emotional draining I didn't even manage to drink the glass of wine I poured myself..... I just fell asleep on sofa as soon as I sat down! Xxx

Back