• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this suitable ? Any one have one ?

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
Evening all.

Have been given an hutch from a friend that needs a good clean and a bit of repair . Was thinking of buying an run from rabbit welfare , however was sent this by amazon as was also looking on there. Is this suitable or not Do you think ? At the mo he is an house rabbit but when we eventually get warm weather he will be introduced outside and will be getting a wifey for him . Thank you.

ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Just in case the picture does not work here is the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-IMP...8JYYM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productDetails

How generous to have been given one! Unfortunately it's not suitable as a bunnies only accommodation. It's too small overall and the bedroom compartment is way too small too. However, what a lot of people have done is attached a good, solid 6 x 4 (or bigger) run onto the side and then boarded over 2/3/4 of the sides of the coop to provide more sheltered area for bunny. This would be a great way to use it whilst still providing a decent size space! It's relatively easy to board the sides over - some places will cut the wood to size for you. Thick-ish plywood works well, although you'll wanna treat it with bunny-safe preservative (cuprinol is fine). This is a great way to attach the two together http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/Rabbit-Mesh-Tunnel-p/jt-m1.htm.

I have these for the quail, they are tiny, not at all easy to clean and, in honesty, quite flimsy.
I would not put rabbits in one, sorry.

Thank you for replying so quickly !knickers thought so . Seemed to good to be true , when I did pay £10 and it will do for a year or so as although its a 6ft hutch it's doe need some repair, luckily not out of my reach . So am buying one of the lovely 3ft by 6 by 8 runs and eventually a better hutch. Am also going to put a tunnel for them .i am so impressed with all the set up on here they are so fabulous.. Some of them I would not mind living in them. Thank you for the advise and links xx

A friend has the larger version for his French Lops. It works quite well, offering them secure overnight accommodation with plenty of room to stretch out and shelter in poor weather. However, it's quite flimsy and not built to last. It needed a secure base and he had to replace the roof with a larger and stronger sheet of felted ply. The corners also needed reinforcing and he added sheets of perspex to part of one side to provide shelter from rain (sun wasn't an issue - there was none last year!).

Thank you for replying so quickly !knickers thought so . Seemed to good to be true , when I did pay £10 and it will do for a year or so as although its a 6ft hutch it's doe need some repair, luckily not out of my reach . So am buying one of the lovely 3ft by 6 by 8 runs and eventually a better hutch. Am also going to put a tunnel for them .i am so impressed with all the set up on here they are so fabulous.. Some of them I would not mind living in them. Thank you for the advise and links xx

That sounds great. It will last a little while, but it's great you know it won't last forever! With a 3 x 6 x 8 foot run they have plenty of run room, however the bedroom compartment is very very small compared to the recommended 6 x 2 hutch. I'd definitely recommend putting a wooden shelter (sometimes a cheap 3/4 foot hutch is ideal, as long as bunny is never shut in!) in in the run area for an extra area to shelter in. Whilst not ideal, it does give bunny a variety of places to shelter which is very important. You can pick up second hand 3/4 foot hutches second hand off eBay/preloved - it means a small nasty hutch is out of circulation, and it doesn't give a hutch manufacturer any direct profit from their stupidly small hutches. Or there are plenty of wooden shelters available on websites. Small dog kennels are fabulous also. :wave:!

I naively bought one of these 6 months ago, it's already fallen apart, the floors' fallen through, the wood's cracked and split, the frame wobbles, the ramp fell off as one bun hopped up it nearly crushing the other, and the roof is warped from the weather. I'd never get one again. It was fine while my two girls were babies, but the minute their weight surpassed 1kg respectively, the hutch-thing began to show strain. :evil::evil: Stay away from them!

Seriously they're dangerous, useless and impossible to clean! :mad:

Back