• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have to make a tough decision, Pickle needs a friend :(

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Why does this have to happen, why did we have to loose our special girl :cry: Pickle is not doing so well, although he is eating he is not eating as enthusiastically as he should. He looks so depressed sitting in the corner of the run in the rain looking sorry for himself. I think it has hit him now like it has me that she has gone forever and not coming back :cry: Its only been three days since loosing our special girl, its far too soon for me to welcome another bunny to our home but if it will make Pickle happy then that's what we might have to do.

We phoned cottontails rescue 2 days ago and the lovely Mairwen left a really sweet message and we are going to try and phone her tonight as we have not spoken to her yet. We really don't know what to do :( Im not really sure if flopsy and lily would accept him, Flopsy is really laidback when bonding with females but I am not sure how pickle and flopsy would react. Flopsy is also very protective over Lily and if somebody goes near her or stroke her then he will dive and grunt. I really don't want to interfere with their bond . It would be brilliant to have all three as a trio though, they could have the whole shed and runs and then we wont have to worry about any bun being lonely for a long time. Flopsy is 6 years old, Lily is nearly 2 and Pickle nearly 2.

Its so very hard, I most certainly do not want another bunny especially not this soon. Pickle and Bella were destined to be together, they had such a close bond only being together 9 months. they had 9 very happy months together. We adopted Pickle from Cottontails in June 2012

Im sorry for the sad photo but this is our dear boy today :(

rest in peace precious Bella, you meant the world to us both we would never ever replace you, you were so very special :cry:

Pickle needs a confident outgoing girl with a big personality just like Bella :cry:

:( jack I closed my run off because my Hatter was just sitting out in the cold he's doing better now after 9 days on meds your pickle will be grieving too :(

Thinking of you and Pickle at this sad time. :(

I think it is quite common for bereaved buns to need a new friend long before the owner feels ready. It wouldn't be replacement for either you or Pickle, but may make him happier.

I waited a week before bonding Willow, she was ready.....and I felt really guilty at the time for doing it.I dont regret it now though....

Poor Pickle. I know its always a very hard decision to make and get them a new companion. It is sadly something most of us have had to do and its a real credit to you that you have put your feelings aside of the grief you are suffering and thinking of Pickle.

I remember when I got Sunshine a new companion and cried all night that it wasn't his previous companion. Of course I ended up adoring her too. You are not ready in your heart to replace or accept a new bunny but you will in time love them and Pickle will be happy.

Poor Pickle :cry::cry: He looks totally bewildered and lost. I am going through exactly the same thing at the moment with Krystle. She lost her soulmate of 5 years 3 days ago, too. She is completely bereft without him :cry::cry::cry: I am also looking for another bun. Ideally would like Krystle to choose.

I'm so sorry for you and Pickle ***** big hugs to both of you ***** All I can say is it will get better.

Thinking of you and Pickle at this sad time. :(

I think it is quite common for bereaved buns to need a new friend long before the owner feels ready. It wouldn't be replacement for either you or Pickle, but may make him happier.

I think Susie Bun has nailed it here.
Your other pair sound like a strong bond & it also sounds like your gut feeling is to find Pickle a friend rather than attempt a trio.
Gut feelings are usually right.
It is so hard having to go through all this when you are grieving but you are such a good bunny parent you will cope.
Thinking of you & Pickle.

Just found this Picture from when Bella came home from her bloods, xrays and dental back in October when she was diagnosed with heart disease. oh Bella I love you so very very much :cry: :cry:

Just found this Picture from when Bella came home from her bloods, xrays and dental back in October when she was diagnosed with heart disease. oh Bella I love you so very very much :cry: :cry:

What a beautiful picture, shows the really special bond you had with Bella. She'll always have a special place in your heart. :love:

You always gave her the best of care, I hope that is a comfort to you.

That is such a beautiful photo of you and your special girl. :love:

It is so hard when you lose one bunny of a pair and can see the other one grieving, particulary when you are still grieving yourself :( I would say that most people in this position do end up taking on another rabbit before they feel emotionally ready, just for the sake of the grieving bunny. I had to do this when I lost my very special boy Herbie, his partner Sugar reacted very badly so I had to find her a friend quite quickly even though I didn't feel ready.

Thinking of you and little Pickle. xx

That's a precious memory you have saved there, Jack. :love: I know that was a hard time for you, but the love you have for Bella really shines from your expression and she is looking at you so sweetly. Anyone can see how much you wanted her to be well and happy.

I am glad you are considering a friend for Pickle. He is such a special little love, and holds the same feelings for Bella as you do. I know if either of you could bring her back you would in an instant.
I hope you are able to find him a friend, as you know all too well how his heart is breaking. No, neither of you desires a replacement...there is no such thing...you are only doing what you feel you must do to assure Pickle's healing and to help him go on with life, as this is the nature of the rabbit to want companionship.
And perhaps, someday, if Pickle chooses a mate, you can let them lead you through the darkness of your own grief to a lighter and more comfortable place where the tears don't fall as often and memories bring more smiles than weeping. ((((((((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Thinking of you and wishing you all the best. You are a very special young man, not many could make such an unselfish decision for the sake of another. xxxx

So sorry for your loss and for the difficult situation you are now in. Neither you nor pickle would consider a new bun a replacement. You will both remember the special bonds you had with bella, but it might help you both to move on by having something else to focus on, and some company for pickle.

Bella would understand, and would want both you and pickle to be happy.

He does look sad :(

I know at the moment it feels like you never want a bunny again, but I'm sure you would end up loving any bun that made him happier, bunnies have a way of sneaking into your heart when you least expect it as I'm sure everyone on here will know.

You must feel so low at the moment. Giving another bun a loving home will be a fitting tribute to the bun that has left a huge void in your life. Your remaining bun is obviously pinning too. Feel so sorry for you both.

That photo of Pickle is heartbreaking. I really hope you find a lovely friend for him.

As mentioned above it isn't a replacement but you are doing it for him and not for yourself. You are going to give an unwanted rabbit a loving home. Bella wouldn't want Pickle or you sad and would probably be happy you are helping another little furry.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Back