• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting bunnies 101 please?

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

My friend has two boy buns, they're 18 months older than my two, cross breeds and father and son. I truly love my friend but she's a poor animal owner, she doesn't spay or neuter any of her animals, there have been three accidental litters of rabbits, one of cats, and in the last 10 years she's had over 30 rabbits, and all but these two have died. :(

I want to take the guys on. She's going to let me have them for free, and I want to bond them with my two girls asap as they're currently in a teeny 3ft hutch, but I don't have the funds for neutering currently, as I've just splashed out on a new hutch and huge run to add to the existing. (My girls aren't spayed as Jelly is still a little underweight and her vet advised I wait until she's a bit bigger to reduce chance of complications, so they're both scheduled in for later this year).

I've first got to get round the obstacle of convincing my parents (and help with that? haha), but I can't bare to watch these beautiful little boys suffer like this, nor do I want them to fill up already full shelters :? . If I could, I'd take on ALL their animals, they've got cats, dogs, birds, gerbils and rats all in spaces too small and that get little or no attention. Some people just shouldn't be pet owners. :evil:

So I was wondering if I could have some advice on bonding quads? And are there any charities that can help towards spaying/neutering for boy-buns (I know there are for cats and dogs)? And above all, what advice can you give me on taking on new guys, I sort of improvised with my other two, but I want to do this right, as they're a lot older and probably a bit more difficult, being boys :lol: (and having been mistreated).

Thank you :)

Hello,

You will need to keep the boys well away from the girls (out of sight and smell of them) until you can get them all neutered. If not then there could be a risk that either the boys or the girls will fall out and that could be very messy. If none of them are neutered then there is a greater risk that your two girls could still fight even without the presence of the two new boys, as they get older. So you need to think about whether you are prepared to house up to four buns separately. Bonding a quad can be difficult so if you are committed to getting these other two, then you might want to get some help from a rescue to do the bonding. Even then, there is no guarantee that this will work out. Do you have room to house them all separately?

Back