• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny insurance? Do you, don't you?

Automaton539

Warren Scout
So, just wondering, where do you guys get your bun insurance, for those who have it and how much? The only quotes I've found so far are either ridiculously priced our have huuuge excess's.

Would you recommend it or would you say buns in general tend to be Hardy and don't get I'll or injured that much?

Mine are with Petplan ... roughly £11.00 per bun per month excess on the boys £55, Willow £75

I was looking into it with hubby and he has said that we would b better off setting up a dd to a savings account so that if the buns need anything we can get it out of that. They always seem to try an wiggle out of paying and if id been paying into a plan and they didnt pay pay out id be furious! So i think to save myself alot of stress in the future im going to get this set up at thebend of the month, esp with me getting another bunny to take my bunny count up to 3 xxxx

I pay £22 for my pair a month. Ask me if its worth it in a couple of weeks, my girls been ill and we've just now paid a £130 bill! :shock:

I was looking into it with hubby and he has said that we would b better off setting up a dd to a savings account so that if the buns need anything we can get it out of that. They always seem to try an wiggle out of paying and if id been paying into a plan and they didnt pay pay out id be furious! So i think to save myself alot of stress in the future im going to get this set up at thebend of the month, esp with me getting another bunny to take my bunny count up to 3 xxxx

That's a brilliant idea, I can't believe I hadn't thought of doing it xx

Unless you can afford to pay out thousands of pounds per year, you need insurance. Savings accounts will run out quickly if your pets get seriously ill. Go with PetPlan, I've never had a problem with them.

Unless you can afford to pay out thousands of pounds per year, you need insurance. Savings accounts will run out quickly if your pets get seriously ill. Go with PetPlan, I've never had a problem with them.

Ditto. For anyone with genuine capacity then a savings acount may be preferable but don't rely just on the savings account. I pay about £1,400 a year to insure my ten, which sounds horrendous but in the last year I've paid out:

£500 for one stasis episode for Esme
£400+ various stasis episodes for Elijah
£900 for blockage surgery for Elijah
£500 ish for Erin's stasis episodes
£400 and counting for Binky's spine problems
There's a few other smaller bills of £100 here and there too.

So that's about twice what I pay in insurance premiums, it would have been a lot harder to find, I'd rather be insured and not worry about how much it could cost - especially taking account of believing that Binky was very healthy and then suddenly finding out he has a severe problem with his spine and may also have serious congenital problems with his liver and god knows what else.

I don't, and never will. Only the dogs and cats get insured, and I'm considering not bothering with the cats.

Ditto. For anyone with genuine capacity then a savings acount may be preferable but don't rely just on the savings account. I pay about £1,400 a year to insure my ten, which sounds horrendous but in the last year I've paid out:

£500 for one stasis episode for Esme
£400+ various stasis episodes for Elijah
£900 for blockage surgery for Elijah
£500 ish for Erin's stasis episodes
£400 and counting for Binky's spine problems
There's a few other smaller bills of £100 here and there too.

So that's about twice what I pay in insurance premiums, it would have been a lot harder to find, I'd rather be insured and not worry about how much it could cost - especially taking account of believing that Binky was very healthy and then suddenly finding out he has a severe problem with his spine and may also have serious congenital problems with his liver and god knows what else.

Exactly this. Since October Maurices bill has topped £1000.....and last year I think I spent over that on Marnie in various bits and pieces

For the 150ish it costs me a year for each of thier policies I think I've had my moneys worth. It's the peace of mind for me as well. I can just tell the vets to do whatever they need to and not worry about the cost.

Go with petplan. I've been with them for 5 years and never had a problem. They pay out quickly and without argument...unlike what I've heard about p@h

i don't insure either but i wish i had with bisc and matt before they got ill. they have cost a fortune. i always thought if i get anymore pets then i would insure but hearing about some of the drama recently with these insurance companies, now i'm not so sure :?

maisie piggy is too 'old' now to insure but our new piggy i might do.

I did have both my rabbits insured but it to be honest it was a massive hassle so we're cancelling the one policy we have left once they make a decision on a claim we made last October (yep we're still waiting).

Just because you have insurance doesn't guarantee that you won't end up spending loads on vet fees, I would tuck some money away just in case as it looks like insurance companies are getting picky about what they pay out for.

We got a rabbit from a local rescue last March and on having him a few weeks realised he had horrific dental problems that hadn't been spotted in his time at the rescue. He had to have a number of dental ops to sort his teeth but sadly he died in December last year during another dental. As his health problems were dental related we received no help from the insurance company and had to get the bills ourselves. It didn't seem like much as it was £120 per op and they were spaced out but he had a number of them in the time we had him and it added up to quite a bit. There was one time that he stopped eating and required an emergency appointment and a few days with the vet and we're claiming for this but to be honest we're expecting to have the claim knocked back as the insurance co will likely say that it was due to his teeth as he had a dental at the vet at the time to save us bringing him back a week later. We made this claim last November and the insurance company have twice claimed that they didn't receive the necessary info even though they had previously confirmed it had arrived.
Poor JayJay had four dental ops when we was with us and the visit and stay in the emergency vet all added up to something in the region of £800 in the space of 8 months or so and having insurance didn't prevent us from having to pay the majority of this (we'll probably end up paying out for all of it to be honest).

If you do go for insurance don't go with Pets at Home and make sure you have some money stashed in case the insurance co decide they aren't covering the cost of treatment. :D

Last edited:
I don't have insurance either. For most people it's not worth it, that's how insurance companies can afford to do it. Obviously some people save themselves a fortune with insurance though.

Exactly this :thumb:

Just an out of hours vet trip can easily be £200. Mine charge £160 before they've even done anything. But I don't have to worry whether or not I can afford it, as petplan always pay up. You are very unlikely to put enough into a savings account to not have to worry how you will pay bills like that. And what if they all get ill around the same time?
Definitely get insurance. It has saved me a fortune. Petplan are much better than the others at paying out :wave:

I've just returned from the vets with Buttercup who had a leg lump, turned out to be a bone infection. The bill - £1,900 is she wasn't insured she would have been put to sleep :cry:

Four of ours are insured - I wish we could afford to insure the other 19!

Back