• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mammary lumps in unspayed does.

blackbunsmum

Young Bun
I have recently posted as my 5 yr bun is having a mammary lump (tubular and approx 1 in long with little tiny lumps at end of it just under nipple in the duct) and spay nxt week. I am hoping it is a cyst but realise it could be cancer due to her age and her having an enlarged uterus. Does anyone have any experience of such lumps,
Thanks
Blackbunsmum

I have just posted on your previous thread with what I hope is some good advice about preventing chewing of sutures, statis and utis. With regards the lump I guess you will just have to wait and see as I am sure other peoples experiences could just give false hope or worry you unnecessarily. The main thing it is being dealt with now and removed, and her care plan thereafter will depend upon what it does turn out to be.

I have just posted on your previous thread with what I hope is some good advice about preventing chewing of sutures, statis and utis. With regards the lump I guess you will just have to wait and see as I am sure other peoples experiences could just give false hope or worry you unnecessarily. The main thing it is being dealt with now and removed, and her care plan thereafter will depend upon what it does turn out to be"

Thanks. You are right. It is best to wait and see and hope for the best. Hopefully, even if it is cancer, it can be removed and give her a few more years of life. She is so incredibly lively and well right now and always blinkying in the house and garden and getting up to bunny mischief with her 7 1/2 year old mum. She is seeing one of the best rabbit vets, Molly Varga, so at least she is in the most capable hands. I will try to take my mind off it until the day.

I have recently posted as my 5 yr bun is having a mammary lump (tubular and approx 1 in long with little tiny lumps at end of it just under nipple in the duct) and spay nxt week. I am hoping it is a cyst but realise it could be cancer due to her age and her having an enlarged uterus. Does anyone have any experience of such lumps,
Thanks
Blackbunsmum

Yes, I had a 3 year old French Lop Rescue Rabbit. She had multiple mammary tumours and was un-spayed. She had to have a total mastectomy, all tumours were cancerous but thankfully they had not metastasised. She was spayed at the same time. Obviously recovery from such major surgery was a protracted affair, but she did recover and she had another 2 years of good quality life. She did not die of any form of cancer but as a result of abscesses on her feet and legs and osteomyelitis in her tibia, fibula, radius and ulna. All due to Pasteurellosis which she had battled ever since I adopted her.

Yes, I had a 3 year old French Lop Rescue Rabbit. She had multiple mammary tumours and was un-spayed. She had to have a total mastectomy, all tumours were cancerous but thankfully they had not metastasised. She was spayed at the same time. Obviously recovery from such major surgery was a protracted affair, but she did recover and she had another 2 years of good quality life. She did not die of any form of cancer but as a result of abscesses on her feet and legs and osteomyelitis in her tibia, fibula, radius and ulna. All due to Pasteurellosis which she had battled ever since I adopted her.

It must have been a worry for you. Was it finding the mammary lumps that made you go to the vets in the first place? It was for me. I was giving Wanda a routine body check and came across it. It is sort of squishy and tubular and in the duct and I can detect some smaller rounded ones at the end if it. I went straight to the vets. How did your rabbits lump feel? Also did your rabbit have any uterine probs when theg spayed her ? I think these things go hand in hand dont they because of hormonal activity. Hoping if it is cancer that it hasnt spread.

Mammary lump

It must have been a worry for you. Was it finding the mammary lumps that made you go to the vets in the first place? It was for me. I was giving Wanda a routine body check and came across it. It is sort of squishy and tubular and in the duct and I can detect some smaller rounded ones at the end if it. I went straight to the vets. How did your rabbits lump feel? Also did your rabbit have any uterine probs when theg spayed her ? I think these things go hand in hand dont they because of hormonal activity. Hoping if it is cancer that it hasnt spread.

How's Wanda?? My little 7 year old Roxy has 3 lumps :(

Back