• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do people let it get SO Bad?

Autumn

Warren Scout
I've been thinking for the last few days.... How on earth do people let things get out of hand enough with their pets that it constitutes neglect?

I mean... Don't get me wrong. I get how things can get out of hand, and you get a bit behind with cleaning out etc for a week because you have flu bla bla bla.... But I have 5 rabbits and 3 guinea pigs living in my garden and they get fed twice a day , cleaned out at least once a day and brushed every 48hrs if they're long haired. So if I had flu or broke a leg, at worst they'd have a bit of a dirty litter tray. I still can't understand how a short haired rabbit can get in such a state by 9m old that the vet has to operate to remove matted hair. Short haired rabbit????!!!!!!

How is this possible?

Because not every one care as much as others. There are some ppl that are just plain cruel, others that are maybe not as informed as others and others that just cant be bothered and dont care. I dont understand it either, how someone could let an animal live in the conditions that they do, its wrong! I dont see it ever changing there are always going to be those ppl out there that are allowed to get animals and not care for them properly.

People just ignore them. If bunny lives in a hutch at the bottom of the garden, is never taken out, is never spent time with, how is the owner ever going to notice any problems? Someone can chuck food in a bowl and fill up a water bottle in two minutes. Keeps bunny alive and that's all the owner notices I'm afraid.

People just ignore them. If bunny lives in a hutch at the bottom of the garden, is never taken out, is never spent time with, how is the owner ever going to notice any problems? Someone can chuck food in a bowl and fill up a water bottle in two minutes. Keeps bunny alive and that's all the owner notices I'm afraid.

This! Its out of sight out of mind with some people sadly. :(

I'd love to be able to neglect Pudding. I dared to sleep in until 8am today and the death stare I got when I came into the living room completely eliminated any benefit from the extra sleep :lol:
On a serious note though, I can see how it can happen. You get the bunny, it's a novelty, then you have a busy week so it doesn't get let out much...and you think you'll just leave cleaning out for 'one more day'...you get in late and think 'oh, he had a huge bowl of food this morning, it'll be fine..', etc etc. It's not right and I'm not excusing it, but I can see how it slides. And I suppose there's an element of shame if you notice that something IS wrong, because you'd have to take the bunny to the vet and say 'Oh yes, his fur is matted because I haven't cleaned him out and I don't know how long he's been off his food for', plus a potentially big bill at the end of it all. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but I bet a lot of the owners who end up putting their bunny on Gumtree or wherever feel really horrible about it. And then there's the people who think 'it's only a rabbit', I suppose.
I wish there was a law that required you to register your interest in having a certain pet six months in advance. I think that would sort out a lot of problems!

This!!!! :thumb:

This!!!! :thumb:

I agree, some people just can't be bothered. They get a bun & a 3ft hutch often on a spur of the moment whim, and the bun gets left to dwell in a stagnating hutch that is never cleaned out. Some may get chucked a handful of food, and may get watered. the majority of poor buns left in this state end up with flystrike, urine burns and rarely survive long.

I don't understand it, because if you can't be bothered with a pet, why not rehome it straight away. Common sense would surely tell you that a bun sitting in it's own mess is not right :roll:

Back