• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can buns have arnica?

JackieS

Warren Scout
I was reading up on herbs that buns could have, and found that lavender has pain relief properties, and I have a huge plant in my garden so I thought this would be good to give to the buns before/after their spays in a few weeks time. When I mentioned it to my MIL she said that as well as lavender she'd been told that arnica was good for post-op in animals. Now I've heard of it used in humans obviously but I wasn't sure if it was safe for bunnies so thought I would ask!

If you can give it, what is the best sort of preparation and dosing? I've only ever seen it in tablet form but I can't see either Axl/Rose swallowing those lol

I would check with your vet before giving anything as some things that do have properties may affect how much meds are given e.g. willow leaves you are not supposed to give alongside metacam. Not sure if any of these things have "blood thinning" type properties which could be a danger if having an op.

They are probably OK, but if you are giving them before then make sure they are OK with your vet.

I am sure you could get it in homeopathic tincture form if you really wanted it. Of course some people think its a load of tosh and has no benefit whatsover, personally I have used it before/after surgery and healed very quickly or maybe it was just in my imagination ....

Back