• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice - bonding a trio or not?

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Hello all,

Monday was a sad day as my long time rabbit and ole lady (she was 7) finally passed away. She was part of a duo with Rufus but now he is unfortunately on his own. He has never been on his own and I am concerned about his sanity and him getting depressed due to loneliness. He is about 5 years old so plenty of years left in him.

I do have another two rabbits who are happily pair bonded. However I have no idea if introducing Rufus to them would be a good idea or not. I don't want to break their bond and then end up with three bunnies who dislike each other.

I can't get another bunny (numerous reasons) to go with Rufus but don't want him to suffer. I don't want to rehome him.

What do people suggest?

so sorry for your loss.

I have no knowledge of bonding rabbits so not sure what the risk is of breaking the others bond. Alvin's Mummy has just bonded Alvin with two lady bunnies so there is now three of them. I would think it is nice if he has company again since he is used to it but hopefully someone else will come along with more experience.

Good luck

If it was me I'd give it a go. Well, i DID give it a go and was successful. Just be aware it maybe a long haul and there is a possibility of the existing bond breaking down.

I'm so sorry about your bunny. Xx

i think it depends on the temperment i have a trio and a solo (solo is 11yrs old as lost his partner back before xmas) he hates my other male (numerous bonding attempts have made me accept its not fair to try and put him in with them. he isnt unhappy, i think i would try it with your other two in a nuetral place and see how it goes if you think it isnt going to work fair enough its unlikely the already bonded pair wont rebond (though not impossible) and would make life easier if they did all live together, is rufus particularly dominant, and how about the other two are they male/female? my trio is f,f,m so it works well that said others have groups with more males too x

i think it depends on the temperment i have a trio and a solo (solo is 11yrs old as lost his partner back before xmas) he hates my other male (numerous bonding attempts have made me accept its not fair to try and put him in with them. he isnt unhappy, i think i would try it with your other two in a nuetral place and see how it goes if you think it isnt going to work fair enough its unlikely the already bonded pair wont rebond (though not impossible) and would make life easier if they did all live together, is rufus particularly dominant, and how about the other two are they male/female? my trio is f,f,m so it works well that said others have groups with more males too x

Rufus is a male, though not really that dominant. Smudge was very much the dominating female. He does like bunny (or did like Smudge's) company and they spent ages cuddled up, grooming and playing. He doesn't really like human company as getting him to sit still for a cuddle is more luck than anything. He happily bolts if you even attempt to give him a cuddle or stroke sometimes. And I don't blame him... he prefers his own kind over humans.

The other duo who I would bond him into are a male and female. All my bunnies have been neutered so hopefully that would help. And I have a neutral area I can bond them in. However....

Cookie is the female and she's a big bunny. She has a head tilt, though copes really well (didn't want to put her down as the vet suggested). This does mean she sometimes has balance issues, though even before this she was not exactly dainty with her bulk. She isn't that domineering but she's bigger than Rufus so that could cause issues.

Oscar is the other male. Again he's been "done" so that should reduce hormonal angst. The is the smallest (and youngest) of the bunnies and also the most fiesty. He likes strokes though just has to have that grunt first that sort of says "I am letting you stroke me... just remember that". He is funny in that way. He isn't aggressive just vocal.

I bonded my girly with a duo of bonded brothers... All went well till recently when there were a few scrapes and they have spent the week on holiday being rebonded.

I think the benefits outweigh the risks as bunnies can get very very lonely....

All the very very best, whatever you decide to do..

Fee xxx

Last edited:
I would give it a go, in neutral territory. As Fee said, the benefit of Rufus having company makes it worth a shot. It really depends on how Rufus gets on with the other male, as your other male could be very protective of the female. I bonded 2 pairs to make a quad as all four buns were so laid back, but the bond broke down after 16 months due to the females deciding to have a massive fight. You wouldn't imagine they could be so vicious going by their temperaments.

But it is still worth trying..

I would give it a go. The past two times I've lost one of a pair I have tried to bond the remaining bun in with my other pair. I think as long as you keep an exceptionally close eye, the risk of breaking up the existing pair is fairly minimal - I would just be far more cautious with the bond and be prepared to stop if there are signs of the original pair getting particularly narky with each other.

I'm not an enormous fan of trios or adding to a well bonded pair as a first choice, but in your situation it sounds as if it may be for the best overall if you can get a successful bond.

Good luck x x

Rufus is a male, though not really that dominant. Smudge was very much the dominating female. He does like bunny (or did like Smudge's) company and they spent ages cuddled up, grooming and playing. He doesn't really like human company as getting him to sit still for a cuddle is more luck than anything. He happily bolts if you even attempt to give him a cuddle or stroke sometimes. And I don't blame him... he prefers his own kind over humans.

The other duo who I would bond him into are a male and female. All my bunnies have been neutered so hopefully that would help. And I have a neutral area I can bond them in. However....

Cookie is the female and she's a big bunny. She has a head tilt, though copes really well (didn't want to put her down as the vet suggested). This does mean she sometimes has balance issues, though even before this she was not exactly dainty with her bulk. She isn't that domineering but she's bigger than Rufus so that could cause issues.

Oscar is the other male. Again he's been "done" so that should reduce hormonal angst. The is the smallest (and youngest) of the bunnies and also the most fiesty. He likes strokes though just has to have that grunt first that sort of says "I am letting you stroke me... just remember that". He is funny in that way. He isn't aggressive just vocal.
:wave:
You mention size being a concern in relation to bonding Cookie & Rufus.
I really think size doesn't matter with bun bonding it is all about personality.
I have an amazing Flemish Giant/ Nethie pairing which works perfectly.
TBH Oscar sounds like a bun who I would have more concerns about in a trio.
All you can do is try a bond with the awareness that it could work or you could end up with three single buns if it goes badly.
I'd probably get someone else to to bond a trio of my own buns whereas I'd happily have a go bonding someone elses buns.
So maybe thats an option? Way less stress!
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back