• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help. Dexter not eating

Autumn

Warren Scout
He was eating fine yesterday until being so stressed at the vets.
He did eat some carrot last night but is showing no interest in his breakfast. Really want to avoid having to take him back as it stressed him out so much yesterday so am picking up some stuff in audited that I can try syringe feeding to him.
Can anyone offer any advice?
So worried about him :-(

I don't really have advice to offer, but did want to send (((((((vibes)))))))).
Is he moving around much at all or just hunched up? Usually when mine don't eat, vet visit or no, they have a little wind going on. Or they've eaten something they are not used to and it tends to slow down their gut.
What else has he had to eat since you got him besides carrot? Has he been drinking water?

:( oh no, poor Dexter. I don't have any advice, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with him. I was following the Dexter story with great interest yesterday. Good luck with him, hope he starts eating for you very soon xx

Have you tried soaked pellets? Or if he won't touch them, try some organix, or Ellas kitchen veggie baby food off a teaspoon as this is much less stressfull than syringe feeding.

If he doesn't eat something soon, then he will need to go back to vets for gut stimulant. Maybe his back teeth are really bad ( I wouldn't be suprised considering the state he was in) and he may need to go under GA as an emergency to have his back teeth looked at properly.

I would take him back as the longer he doesn't eat the worse he will get. I know its stressful but hopefully they will sort him out. Fresh herbs are good to tempt but if he's in pain then he probably won't want anything.

Poor little Dexter. Good luck.

Herbs and maybe a little weetabix could help, if he turns his nose up then he must see the vet.

Come on little Dexter we all want to see you settled in your wonderful new home. Xx

I'm in Leicestershire.

Have some science recovery sachets but about to offer some soaked pellets ( sifted out of his crappy mix!)

If he refuses those will try and get some syringes food down him. If no change within next hr or so he'll be going back in to the vets.

He seems quite happy in himself. Having a wash x

I'm in Leicestershire.

Have some science recovery sachets but about to offer some soaked pellets ( sifted out of his crappy mix!)

If he refuses those will try and get some syringes food down him. If no change within next hr or so he'll be going back in to the vets.

He seems quite happy in himself. Having a wash x

If he's bright it's less of a worry but if he is clearly unhappy I would get him to the vets ASAP. I would definitely not syringe anything other than water unless he's been examined by a vet. A blockage needs to be ruled out before any more food goes in there.

Well he's currently hopping around conservatory chin rubbing and getting up to mischief. He had a little nibble of the soaked pellets and the a few good chomps on his carrot. Fingers crossed he's just attention seeking!!!

Sending lots of vibes and hope Dexter is doing well.

Given the amount of buns that I have and their past tendancy to refuse food when the vets have shut, my vets have allowed me to have a bottle of metacam and a bottle of empremid (sp?), a gut stimulant at home and have written all the dosages down. This allows me to medicate them when appropriate and follow it up with a vet trip as soon as they open. It has come in very handy in the past.

Back