• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with attaching run to hutch?

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
Hey :wave:

I'm ordering this tomorrow :D
http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=413

and I can't WAIT to give my buns more space, as their hutch was bought on a teeny budget. :oops:
IMG_1235_zps81c186cd.jpg

However, the hutch is much taller than the run, and it's a full opening door, how can I attach the run to the front of the hutch without the little toe-rags escaping? (Oh and my parents have said no to the run around system). :(

I'm a bit of a DIY novice so, as little drilling/sawing as possible would be great! :lol:

THAAAANKS!

(P.s. my hutch is no longer set up like this, the shelf is lower and there's more sheltered areas, as I was worried about the steepness of the ramp, despite the fact the jumped up on it instead of using the ramp :roll: ... I will add pics when it's finished).

Is there anyway the door can be opened all the way so that it's right against the hutch? and then the run push against it?

I have that run :) (2 of them :p) They are attached to my buns shed via ..flap doors my dad made, I don't know what to call them :lol:

Will it be permanent? You could cut a smaller hole in the mesh of the coop and cable tie the larger door at the end to the mesh so it's not the same size as the door.. then they wouldn't be able to get out. If that makes sense :lol:

Perhaps you could do that and make a flap or hinged door, or buy a cat flap and attach that? I don't know if that would work on mesh though :)

Good job on improving their set up :thumb:

Here's how mine are on if that helps at all :) See how the flap is smaller than the run door, that's what I mean about cutting a smaller hole, well a square one so they don't catch themselves on any sharp bits :)

IMAG2477_zpsa984ea58.jpg

Is there anyway the door can be opened all the way so that it's right against the hutch? and then the run push against it?

The door does open right out flat against the hutch.

DSCF1485_zps73b702f5.jpg

However, the gap of the door frame is taller than the run, so they'll be able to jump out :/

Oh I see now.

I wonder if making a panel that you can attach to cover this gap when the door is open would help?

I'd recommend getting a proper wooden run for two reasons:

1) it'll be easier to attach and
2) it's much safer. The run you linked above can be lifted by rabbits and predators, and predators can get their paws/mouth through to attack your buns.

A good solid wooden run would be super easy to attach. Just find the best placement for it and either screw it on, or use a series of bolts (http://caledonianmercury.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Door-Bolt.jpg) and possibly some gate hooks to keep it attached (but allow it to be easily moved).

You'll need to create two holes to allow them to pass between the two - runaround doors (no need for the tube) are great for this because it covers any sharp edges from cutting the wire, and allows you to block it off when necessary instead of having a hole if you need to temporarily move the run (if you need to repaint it or something). You should be able to just use one door to attach them, although you might wanna put that panel of the run on backwards (with the mesh on the outside rather than the inside) to minimise the gap, as it will be on so tight that it may warp the mesh over time.

Alternatively, this is a great option too http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/Rabbit-Mesh-Tunnel-p/jt-m1.htm

If it was me I'd attach the run at the back rather than the front - that way you wont compromised the access.

But at it is on hardstanding I'd probably save a bit more and opt for a wooden run as you wont be able to peg it into the ground like you can on grass so I'd worry it was too light and accessible to predators.

Oops forgot to address the problem of the door! Could you attach it to the sides/back? If not, can you attach it to the right/left of the door so you can still open it? It would sort of be staggered and a little odd looking, but you'd be able to open the door fine. You could use a gate hook to enable you to have the door attached open, so it's easier for cleaning etc!

Back