• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ears!

kazz

Alpha Buck
Marley seemed to be scratching his right ear, pulling it down and shaking his head a bit yesterday so I got him in to the bets to see if there might be an infection. The vet looked with his light and Marley seemed to react as if the right was sensitive (unless he was fed up after having the left looked at). He said although it seemed very little there was some wax build up and some sign of inflammation in his right ear. He also looked at his teeth and said on the right side of his mouth was some lipping (if I've remembered the right word) so they were a bit longer than they should be on his lower molars.

So basically hes given me canaural which is for dogs and cats to give a few drops twice daily and massage very gently. Hes helicoptered his ears for a while and gone to hide behind the settee. Will it work? And if hes put on just hay and herbd will it grind his teeth back to normal length or just keep them to the length they are?

The Canaural may work but ear problems can be very stubborn to treat

His teeth may improve on a diet that consists mostly of hay. But you do need to be certain that he is actually eating hay if you intend to stop feeding any pellets at all. If he has been used to filling up on pellets he may point blank refuse to eat enough hay to have any effect on his teeth or to maintain his weight.

Both the ear and the dental issues need to be reviewed by your Vet on a regular basis

The vet said both things are quite minor so as not to worry too much. Is he eating his hay quite well these days after changing hay, I've weaned him off so many pellets steadily over the past week. Tomorrow he'll be just getting two egg cup fulls but I dont know whether that should be once or twice a day? I give him herbs and some dandelion stuff I got from the local pet shop too.

The course of the drops is for 10 days so I'm going to see if he's less fussy afterwards with his ears, if he is would you recommend giving him a month or two to review his teeth? Obviously sooner if theres a change in appetite etc. but he seems fine for now eating and drinking.

I would want the Vet to re-check his ears soon after the 10 day course of treatment is finished and he could take a look at his teeth at the same time :)

Would there be much chance of change to his teeth within 10 days? I'll get a follow up appointment for just after 10 days :)

Back