• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I be flea preventing my bunnies?

i_am_tre

Warren Scout
Should I? It's a silly question I know but I have been looking at it and the ones I have found only ones that protect for a week. Now I know that they should be protected but if I did, it would cost me £1767 a year for my two bunnies! I love them and I appreciate care but thats a bit excessive isn't it?!

When they got mites last year, i took them to my vet and he injected them with a preventative flea and mite mixture that lasts a year and it cost me £16 each bunny.

Help would be appreciated, links to preventatives you use if you do. and if you dont, why?

Thanks guys

i don't use anything, as I've never had a bunny with fleas in 25 years. I didn't even know buns could get fleas. Pebbles once had a tiny mite which I noticed after brushing him, so I took him to vets and paid about £16 for mite drops...only to realise they sold the same stuff in pets at home for about £3, and you can get it online http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Ant...r_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362596725&sr=8-2..contains exactly same stuff that vet gave me :roll:

The reason I don't use it routinely as a preventative measure is that Bugsy had a severe reaction to "spot on" that vet recommended for fly strike prevention. So now I don't put anything on buns skin unless necessary.

Should I? It's a silly question I know but I have been looking at it and the ones I have found only ones that protect for a week. Now I know that they should be protected but if I did, it would cost me £1767 a year for my two bunnies! I love them and I appreciate care but thats a bit excessive isn't it?!
VERY, yes! But you say below there is the injection for £16 a year....

When they got mites last year, i took them to my vet and he injected them with a preventative flea and mite mixture that lasts a year and it cost me £16 each bunny.
This sounds odd to me. One of mine got mites as he was run down from being ill and his fur fell out. He was treated with Ivormectin. From what I know (and I could be wrong here) I've never heard of flea and mite mixture that lasts a year via injection. The metabolism alone makes this ring alarm bells as being incorrect. The reason you get vaccs done annually is because the virus/bacteria change.

Help would be appreciated, links to preventatives you use if you do. and if you dont, why?

My buns shouldn't have access to fleas as they are indoors.
Also, I used spot on as the vet said it might be helpful whilst bun recovered and bunny lost fur as a side effect! He has been fine since.

We don't flea treat the buns but we do make sure the cat is treated every 5 weeks as we consider him the biggest risk of them getting fleas.

Bunnies don't tend to get fleas, they would only be at risk if there were other animals with fleas or had access to wild rabbits which they shouldn't have anyway. I have some of the Xeno 200 (I think, it's the spray version) which I used in the past when Mini and Mischa had mites. It was diagnosed by a vet and he recommended using it and treating all four bunnies. I have a funny feeling Smudge might've had lice when I first got him as once or twice I saw very slow moving specks in his fur but I never saw them after using the Xeno. If I noticed anything in their fur I would probably treat with that once first and then go to the vets but I don't treat with it regularly, bunnies are pretty clean animals, the only risk would be from hay or from where they came from. I've only ever had problems the once.

This sounds odd to me. One of mine got mites as he was run down from being ill and his fur fell out. He was treated with Ivormectin. From what I know (and I could be wrong here) I've never heard of flea and mite mixture that lasts a year via injection. The metabolism alone makes this ring alarm bells as being incorrect. The reason you get vaccs done annually is because the virus/bacteria change.

my vet firstly gave me ear drops for them but it didnt help so he injected them and it all went away... either way anyway I figured I didnt have to prevent them but I just wanted to make sure as I didnt want to but them in danger of any sort.

Thank you to all of you for your answers :D

Back