• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies have a new shed - and it was free :)

catpud

Warren Scout
I have just managed to get a shed from freecycle, we are picking it up at the weekend. I want the rabbits to be able to use all of the space, but my dad also wants me to be able to store stuff in there (apparently having your work shed overtaken by your adult daughter to store pet supplies is not amusing) I was wondering if people had any ideas on creating storage space but not taking up much floor space, had anybody tried shelves in their rabbit sheds, and how do you make sure they are safe?

My dad made me a shelf in my shed :) I fit the newspaper, cleaning stuff and hay on it (A 9.5kg bag from h4p and half a bale). It's safe because there is no way they could reach it.

I'd post a picture but I can't on the iPad because photobuckets update is ridiculous.. :evil:

How much storage do you need?

I have a shelf made from a scrap piece of mdf or something and some brackets
shed3.jpg

And an old sorter from work makes a good set of shelves (obviously they can reach the bottom few)
shelves.jpg

They were both temporary measures until we could sort out something that looked a bit better but they do the job well so we've never bothered replacing them.

Ah that looks useful, I don't really need to much space, I buy large bales of hay and that takes up the most space. That's a pretty good idea, do you tend to only keep lighter things on the shelf with brackets? I'm a little clumsy and don't trust myself to be lifting heavy things off high shelves around the bunnies, using a small shelf unit like the one you have would be a perfect solution to that issue I think

Ah that looks useful, I don't really need to much space, I buy large bales of hay and that takes up the most space. That's a pretty good idea, do you tend to only keep lighter things on the shelf with brackets? I'm a little clumsy and don't trust myself to be lifting heavy things off high shelves around the bunnies, using a small shelf unit like the one you have would be a perfect solution to that issue I think

There's usually a 10kg bag of hay up there and not much else these days, but it can hold a fair bit of weight.
You could always get a little chest of drawers or a cabinet in there and put on a bolt if you need to keep the rabbits out.

Back