• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming tips for long haired rabbit

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
I have a bristle brush for the rabbits but as Ruby is long haired I am wondering if something else would be better.

Any tips for brushing would be appricated, she doesn't seem to enjoy it and its something I will have to keep on top of.

Thanks

It's a metal one but designed for guinea pigs (from jolleys) and small pets so the metal prongs are really soft.... Feel like the scratchy side of Velcro if you brush your hand with it. I find it works well on 'mucky' bits of hair. The piggies wee on each other all the time so it is great for the little clumps of hair that are stuck together. I find the bristle brush doesn't do much on these bits and leaves the 'clumps' intact. That said I brush them all every other day so it never has time to build up xxx

I'll have a look out for one of those then, I can imagine if she got anything stuck on her it would be a job to get it off, I don't want the grooming to be a chore for either of us.

I have a plastic slicker that also has bristles, works quite well. Desn't get out masses of fur but gets some out and more importantly the bunnies love being brushed with it so I am able to brush Smudge every other day.

I use a double sided metal comb with different size spacing on my cashmere lop - it's the only thing that works comfortably and best for her without scratching or pulling her skin. knots should be gently teased out and her skin should be held flat so as not to pull and hurt whilst combing - maybe someone can post a pic of it. I find brushes are no good - they pull and some are too spikey and scratchy on the skin

Back