• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Owner to give up rabbits as green bin too small

Maybe she can't drive? I couldn't have four rabbits and two guineas if my dad didn't drive. The tip is too far away and the green bin isn't big enough. If not we'd end up with mountains of bin bags.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-e...e-up-rabbits-as-green-bin-too-small-1-2822001

:?

I don't get this story! Surely you would just take the stuff to the tip rather than rehome the rabbits?

Daft to rehome over waste, but I understand the frustration. The local tips around me do not accept ANY animal waste, including rabbit. In fact we're not really meant to even put it in our green bins, I do and just hide it under cardboard boxes! It is REALLY frustrating, especially as I share my green bin with two neighbours and it's NOT a huge bin!

I would never give up my rabbits over it though, despite having two garden waste bags and two 80L plastic bags of bunny waste sitting on my patio at the moment as they didn't pick up my green bin last time (its fortnightly), hopefully they'll empty it today.

What a daft excuse:roll: My brown (its brown for green waste here) bin is regularly too full and then I just put any leftovers in the green (household) bin. Any left over from that tbh goes in the following weeks rubbish but if I had to it would go to the tip. My brown bin holds all my chooks waste, bunny waste, garden waste and cardboard so I dont understand how she is struggling:evil:

Instead of wood shavings she could use newspaper and then it's easy to put hay in the green waste bin and wet paper in the normal waste bin surely?

I clean my pair out every day and I fill the green bin after a week and a half, even after squashing it down. Ours is collected every 2 weeks, but I just out it in the normal waste bin because the compost bin at the allotment isn't completely built yet.

A very odd story :? I wonder if there is an actual reason for her wanting to rehome rather than needing to rehome them because she can't fit their waste in the bin :?

It's a poor excuse to have to rehome if she is actually allowed to take rabbit waste to her local tip.

I'm not allowed to take my bunny waste to the tip, there's too much for my general bin fortnightly collection, so I have to pay the council to have extra collections which cost me around £30 a month. I just have to factor this into the cost of owning 10 rabbits.

How ridiculous. So what if driving to the tip means it defeats the point of recycling, if you need to get rid of it you need to get rid of it. If she really felt that strongly about being "green" surely she wouldn't have pets at all.

Also, don't most councils provide you with an extra bin if you pay for it?

How ridiculous. So what if driving to the tip means it defeats the point of recycling, if you need to get rid of it you need to get rid of it. If she really felt that strongly about being "green" surely she wouldn't have pets at all.

Our council gave me an extra bin when i asked, didn't even have to pay - they want to encourage more recycling :wave:

She would have to pay to have the extra bin emptied though, which is what I have to do with my extra collections. Our council charges £10 for one extra full bin collection, £15 for two bins.

I had to buy an extra bin privately so that I could get better value for money by having two emptied at the same time. My council wouldn't sell me an extra bin.

Just to add - mine is general waste though as my bunny waste can't go in green waste bins.

We don't have green bins and the local tip doesn't accept rabbit poo - but I couldn't get it there anyway without a car so I can appreciate the disposal difficulties and it's been a problem for me. However, there's normally a way to solve problems and I advertised it on Freecycle and was amazed to receive a flood of responses from people wanting it for allotments, smallholdings and even private domestic gardens. (Getting people to turn up on the days/times agreed is another matter though...)

We have a brown bin for garden waste, I thought everyone did?

We have to do a tip run, every week, regardless :lol: its a very bad excuse!

I have to wonder if she's actually even planning to rehome the rabbits. She could just as likely be using it as emotional blackmail to try to persuade the council to give in over the bin issue?

She would have to pay to have the extra bin emptied though, which is what I have to do with my extra collections. Our council charges £10 for one extra full bin collection, £15 for two bins.

I had to buy an extra bin privately so that I could get better value for money by having two emptied at the same time. My council wouldn't sell me an extra bin.

Just to add - mine is general waste though as my bunny waste can't go in green waste bins.

I guess it depends on the council. My street isn't actually eligible for a recycling collection but I know if it were it would just be £30 a year for the extra green bin and no charge for emptying.

Stupid woman. I am 100% sure that there are options.

I would just walk about with the black bags and put them in other peoples bins!

I seriously doubt she wants to rehome her rabbits.

What pee's me off is the fact that she's allowed the story to be reported so irresponsibly, by allowing rabbits to be seen as a disposable commodity, just to get her point across.
I wouldn't be surprised if the journalist came up with this angle in the hope of getting support from animal lovers:?.

I hope they'll be astounded by the back lash from angry animal lovers who think its a pathetic way of stamping your feet at the local council!

Its a bit of an odd story. I live near Edinburgh and fall under the jurisdiction of the same council. The bin situation is ridiculous (brown rats have increased in numbers) since they reduced collections and no real recycling is actually taking place as plastics and other non biodegradable items are still going to landfill. Pet waste is classed as a hazardous item and is not supposed to go into the garden bin (totally crazy) but it can go to landfill where it will biodegrade or the green bin. We have double the amount of bunnies this woman has and my dad drives the bin bags to the nearest recycling centre. We sometimes put a bag or two int he green bin. Also to qualify for a larger bin you usually have to pay £25 and sometimes the council will refuse (if you are a single person for example), so its not always possible to get a larger one.

Anyway it sounds like this woman can drive but won't :? I find that totally ridiculous and wonder if there is more to the story. What a shame for the bunnies their owner doesn't seem more dedicated.

I agree with Karen M that's she's just using it to have a go at the council. If they won't give you an extra bin and you can't dispose of it at the tip, get a compost bin. Simple.

I was quite at the amount of waste though - is that normal for five buns?

I agree with Karen M that's she's just using it to have a go at the council. If they won't give you an extra bin and you can't dispose of it at the tip, get a compost bin. Simple.

I was quite :shock: at the amount of waste though - is that normal for five buns?

At my bit we have a black bin for household waste, blue for recycling and brown for garden waste. All my bunnies waste goes into the black bin

She could always advertise the waste on gumtree, people like it for their allotments. We put ours in the compost :)

Back