• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could baled hay cause wheezing and lung/throat congestion?

LainiT

Warren Scout
I'm back at the vets tonight with Ellie, she was sneezing white discharge a couple of months ago, she had an injection of antibiotics cos her lungs were noisy (the name escapes me and I'm not home to check) and an anti-inflammatory injection. We had to go back twice since cos she's still sneezing, lungs are clear but congestion in her throat, both times given Baytril. Last night she sounded like a guinea pig while eating her tea, just briefly wheezing so we're back again tonight.
Its dawned on me I've swapped to a bale of hay rather than the dust extracted prepacked hay...could that be causing such dramatic symptoms? Or any other advice what to ask the vet would be gratefully received. Have a feeling I'll be sent home again with more baytril that Ellie will skillfully hold in her mouth til i put her down and then dribble out while cleaning herself!!:roll:
Hoping someone can shed some light on the subject, thankyou.

It is very possible yes. My Digby is terrible with dusty hay, he sneezes and makes choking noises :( i can totally sympathise with him though, as it affects me just the same! If i get a dusty bale i beat the **** out of each handful before giving it to the buns, so it all goes in my lungs instead! If i then blow my nose all the black dust comes out, it's awful :( i mainly use hay for pets ings now which is fine :wave:

Back