• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with incontinence

paula jayne

New Kit
hi im new to this site and was wondering if any one can help me. my bunny daisy has lost her ability to move her back legs this happened about three weeks ago she lived in a spacious two floor hutch with a good sturdy ladder which enables her access to upper floor. i have three bunnies in total all in separate cages they live in the shed through the winter months anyway on noticing that daisy was still in the same position as previous evening i opened the cage and found she was dragging her back legs and couldn walk(hop) i straight away took her to our local vets he said he couldn be sure but it looks like a parasite has attacked her nerve endings and gave her a steroid injection and antibiotics i was to take her back the next day. she started a course of panacur for 28 days and baytrill for one week. she started of dragging her hind legs on her side but now ive noticed she can tuck both legs under her me thinking this was a improvement i took her back to the vets today as it was a two week check only to be told daisy has become incontinente and i only have two more weeks left of meds and then i need to make the decision of euthanasia hating that word and that choice im desparate for help as to what i can do to help daisy. i clean her bum and wipe her down with wet wipes ive also bathed her and blown dried her she hasnt got sores or burns at the moment and need to know how to stop this from happening. has this happened to anyone else? is there a cure? ive stoped putting her on shavings and is now on towels in her indoor cage in the kitchen. please if any one can help i would be really grateful.

How distressing and sad :cry:

I have no experience of this but if it happened to one of my girls I would seriously consider the vet's suggestion of putting her to sleep. You have to think about your rabbit's quality of life; rabbits were made to hop and skip and binky (those mid air twists and turns) and if she can't do that then she will be very confused and possibly sad too. If she can't move very well she would also sit in her own excrement and urine, which eventually would lead to sores as you cannot be there 100% of the time - you have to sleep after all.

Sadly I think her time is nigh BUT someone else on here may have an alternative idea for you.

I'm sorry to hear about dear Daisy, but I definitely wouldn't give up hope yet!!!! It sounds as if could be EC which many bunnies fully recover from, others not 100% but do still manage to have quality of life.
I have had first hand experience of poorly bunnies displaying similar symptoms and each and every one of them..................................has made a full recovery.:D

Be patient, be determined and don't give up yet.

Bunnies can really be great fighters, so give Daisy the best possible chance.

Come on Daisy!!!!:thumb::love:

Back