• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older bunny being 'quiet'

Janey

Warren Veteran
The last few days Poppy has been what I would describe as 'quiet'. She just prefers to lie down on her favourite mat and isn't interested in doing much. She's 6.5 and although I realise that isn't very old she's had quite a tough time health wise (dental issues) and so I kind of think of her as being older than she is.

So really my question is, with an older bunny how do you know when to take to the vets? Is there a way of differentiating between being poorly or just feeling old and 'can't be bothered' (I'm guessing not). I'm often guilty of rushing to the vets at little things which I have been better at recently but I'm not sure whether to take her. As I don't have any symptoms all I would be able to say is she's 'quiet' and if she is just feeling old and tired I can't think the 60 odd mile round trip would do her much good. Short of testing or everything I'm not sure what the vet could do.

It's so hard to know what to do for best, I love her so much too so it makes me really sad, she was my first bunny and has so much character.

She may have some arthritis meaning she is aching and not feeling like moving around as much

What is her eating/pooing like ?

Is she maintaining her weight ?

Is she drinking more than usual ?

Is her respiratory rate/effort in any way increased ?

Personally I would get her checked over as any obvious change in behaviour has to have a cause and it is better to act sooner rather than later.

She may have some arthritis meaning she is aching and not feeling like moving around as much

What is her eating/pooing like ?

Is she maintaining her weight ?

Is she drinking more than usual ?

Is her respiratory rate/effort in any way increased ?

Personally I would get her checked over as any obvious change in behaviour has to have a cause and it is better to act sooner rather than later.

Her eating and pooing seems to be as normal, she doesn't really drink that much because she has soggy pellets due to her teeth, they only have a small water bowl and that isnt decreasing more than normal.

I haven't weighed her for a little while (because it's tricky and although she's good at being handled she really dislikes it), but I can normally tell just by holding her and I think she's about the same.

Her breathing seems normal.

I think you're right (as always), I've left her a few days to 'pick-up' (as she normally does), but I think a check-up is needed. At least I then know I have done everything I can for her, even if they can't find anything.

Good luck at vets... Wee bunny is maybe just enjoying being a lady of leisure!!

Fee x

I've left the lounge door open (which I haven't done recently because Poppy has weed the last few times I've let her in because she can smell Pixie), I don't care now though, it's wooden floor so I can clean it up. Anyhow.....there are poos everywhere :oops: BUT, we've had binkies :D

I've left the lounge door open (which I haven't done recently because Poppy has weed the last few times I've let her in because she can smell Pixie), I don't care now though, it's wooden floor so I can clean it up. Anyhow.....there are poos everywhere :oops: BUT, we've had binkies :D

Sounds positive!!!:thumb::D:love:

Is she moulting? I think I read that they Sometimes eat a bit less and get less active when moulting...

Back